SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
If you go with small diameter rope they don't. That would typically mean a dyneema to double braid splice so that everything going over the sheave is dyneema.

Catalina Direct sells replacement sheaves for all rope halyards. The originals are 33 years old and are probably ready for replacement anyway.

Catalina Direct: Masthead Sheave for Line

·
Registered
244 Posts
My Catalina is a 1988 and the sheaves on the masthead were cracked. Halyards were line not cable. I replaced with ball bearing for main and plain bearing for the spinnaker, topping lift and jib. Jib is on furler.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wire to rope halyard sheaves often have a smaller groove, to fit the wire, within the larger groove, which is sized for the rope. Did some research and learned that the edges of the small groove are bad for rope. They abrade the covers and cause premature failure.
When I went to all-rope I took my aluminum sheaves to a machine shop and had them turned for all-rope. Came out nicely. Lost maybe 3/16" diameter at most--not a critical amount, and preferable to buying new aluminum sheaves. Although acetal sheaves aren't that expensive.
John V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts