SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The jib sheets I have on my cutter rig are burning holes in the protective UV canvas on the staysail. It appears that when the jib blows through on a tack, the lazy sheet rips across the staysail and burns into the staysail cover.
I currently have double braided sheets on the jib. I've heard that switching the a single braid may reduce the friction. Anyone have experience with this?
I am also interested in knowing if there is some other form of canvas that can be use to line the outer edge of the staysail that would be less prone to this kind of friction damage? I have sunbrella(sp?) material lining the staysail.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Putting a chafe patch on the staysail is a good idea...as is easing the lazy sheet when you're tacking. I don't know if going to a single braid will make much of a difference.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. I just added furling to our staysail and a new sail so I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's causing any damage. Like mentioned above an additional layer of Sunbrella is all I can think of to protect it. What brand of doublebraid are you using for sheets?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you want I will gladly trade you my boat for your Mason as I don't have any jib chaffing issues...:D On a serious note I don't have anything to add that would help you out but I absolutely love the Mason 44 and yours looks great with that blue hull! I got to go on a friend's in Greenport a couple years ago and it is an amazing vessel.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
One other question, when was the last time you washed your jib sheets???

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
SD has a good point. Jib sheets can pick up grit from the air, grit and dirt from the deck and even very small bits of metal from the stays. The effect becomes similar to a sort of poor quality emory board.

I wash my sheets and halyards in a nylon net bag every couple of seasons. It cleans them, "relaxes" them in terms of softening any hard spots and you can "end for end" them, effectively doubling their life. Also, I like soft, fuzzy sheets...typical cruiser!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SD, I wash them in mild soapy water each spring when I do the bright work. These are the soft fuzzy double braid, When i walk on the deck if they rub against my arm, they burn.
The past few sails, i've been easing the lazy sheet to see if that helps, but the only difference i can see is where the burn mark occurs on the staysail.
I like the idea of some protection, but it would not be easy to install or remove, the burns start just above the clew when the staysail is rolled and occur all the way down to about 1 foot above the foot. I wish I was tall enough to reach the clew but that is not possible. Ideally, I'm looking for something that will not require me to go up front to prep the sail before using it.
I imagine i'll take it to a sail maker this fall when go on the hard to see if they have a material that may work better. If not, i may just have to add another layer of sunbrella to the bottom half of the saysail.
It has not yet burned the sail, but I imagine a few tacks with the sheet rubbing at the same spot will begin to do damage.
Oh recently I put a few more wraps on the staysail when furled in hopes that the staysail sheets wrapped around may provide some additional protection.
Thanks!

Oh, I'd never trade my Mason... she is great! (well maybe i'd consider an Oyster)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Well, if you want a solution that will work for now, why not order a protective sunbrella sleeve for the staysail. It would be a lot cheaper than repairing the staysail, and help protect it from UV damage as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.