SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Is it the Sherwood F-85 model? (I have a Westerbeke W-52 and this is a pretty common model).

I would bite the bullet and replace it entirely ($485), but I would then try to repair the existing one ($180 or something for the stupid seals) and keep it as a bagged and ready to go spare. I would much rather bolt on a complete replacement pump in a bad situation than try to change an impeller or take a guess at the state of the seals.

It's robbery at any rate, but I have a spare Oberdorfer "bolt on" for my other boat's Atomic 4 for the same reason.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Gramp34 said:
Worst they can say is they don't carry the parts, and you'll be exactly where you are now.

Good luck,

Tim
Excellent advice. It's like fixing an alternator: an auto electrics shop will do it for a fraction of the cost of a "marine" place. I had my Atomic 4 completely rebuilt for $1,200 at an auto engine place. I just gave them the shop manual and they returned the finished block. I reassembled the rest and it runs like a top.

Same deal with simple stuff like pumps. Injectors are a little trickier to self-service.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts