SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to ship a 10k lb boat on a trailer to the Annapolis area and need to find a boat yard with reasonable long term storage rates 60-90 days. I'd also like feed back on shippers if anyone has any good info. The boat is traveling from WA state.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I'm looking to ship a 10k lb boat on a trailer to the Annapolis area and need to find a boat yard with reasonable long term storage rates 60-90 days. I'd also like feed back on shippers if anyone has any good info. The boat is traveling from WA state.
Check out (click on) Bert Jabins Boatyard on Back Creek. We shipped our boat to Florida from there and they did good work for us.

FWIW...

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
For the haul, try NJ Boat Hauler, All Aboard Marine Transport, Home Page. They haul nationwide, and for your purposes, Central NJ to Annapolis isn't that far. They had excellent rates, nice equipment, they were professional, and they seemed to care about the boat (even going around and checking everything that I had already done, then helping me fix all the stupid things I had done or overlooked).

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
It may be that the buyer has a favorite place near Annapolis. The Chesse also has a lot of good sailing marinas. But as a launching point for an adventure, I'm sure others will disagree, but it seems a strange place from which to start. Kind of like choosing to leave from Tampa, rather than Miami, to get to the Bahamas. The plus side to leaving from Annapolis, I guess, is that you get a 2-day shake-down cruise with good places to stop along the way if something breaks.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
It may be that the buyer has a favorite place near Annapolis. The Chesse also has a lot of good sailing marinas. But as a launching point for an adventure, I'm sure others will disagree, but it seems a strange place from which to start. Kind of like choosing to leave from Tampa, rather than Miami, to get to the Bahamas. The plus side to leaving from Annapolis, I guess, is that you get a 2-day shake-down cruise with good places to stop along the way if something breaks.
That may well be the reason for choosing the start point one question is the boat on its own trailer or does the shipper need to provide a trailer

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
An idea would be to rent a penske truck and tow it himself they don't charge mileage like uhaul does another idea would be to contact a couple freight brokers and ask for recommendations. Who is paying for the transport of the vessel?

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I dont know the area does it have ocean access. The boat will be launched ASAP 30-90 days and sailed across the Atlantic.
A 10k# boat would be an adventure crossing the Atlantic. Probably camping also. *grin*

In the Annapolis area:

Hartge Yacht Yard, Shipwright Marina, Herrington Harbour North, Eastport Yacht Center. EYC or HYY are closest to BWI airport if that is relevant.

I do agree with the post that Annapolis down the Bay is a good shakedown. If one is to cross an ocean I think Annapolis to Norfolk should not take longer than 24 hours.

If Norfolk to Bermuda is acceptable as shakedown consider Vinings Landing Marina in Little Creek. Close to the Atlantic and easy access through Norfolk airport.

EYC and Vinings have closest access to big West Marine stores. Herrington Harbour is walking distance to West Marine. Herrington Harbour and Vinings have the widest choices of services. You can use me as a point of contact at EYC.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Check out (click on) Bert Jabins Boatyard on Back Creek. We shipped our boat to Florida from there and they did good work for us.

FWIW...
Jesus...he said "reasonable". Jabin's is "Deluxe", but you pay for it.

BFN: Try Casa Rio and Rockhold Creek Marinas. They both do long-term storage and allow DIY maintenance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
BFN: Try Casa Rio and Rockhold Creek Marinas. They both do long-term storage and allow DIY maintenance.
+1 on Rockhold Creek Marina, less expensive than Herrington when I checked and still a very easy walk to the Tracy's Landing West Marine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts