SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My office overlooks Lake Michigan and I often see the big lake freighters (700 ft + LOA) far offshore. I notice that often they do not show up on the boatnerd.com AIS location map. I guess I thought all or nearly all large commercial vessels would be equipped with AIS and appear on that site. Can anyone speak to the extent to which AIS is actually used on the Great Lakes and to how accurate and complete the boatnerd.com actually is?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Any web site will only have what it's listening stations show. So they could be out of range, or Just not reported. I think it is more likely a delay in the web site, vs the big freighters not actually having it on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The boat nerd website's AIS is kind of a hobby viewer type site. All or most of the targets on there are delayed or not even displayed from my experience.

By profession I'm a Captain on Great Lakes Freighters and personally use a paid-for application on my IOS device. It is more accurate and reliable than the actual commercial AIS unit I have installed on my ship. I don't know if that should be funny or frightening. But I've never had much luck from the boatnerd site at all, though I love the site.

There are free AIS apps for all smart devices. You will have better luck with that. And for a couple of dollars you can get a highly accurate AIS program that indicates everything in real time as long as that vessel is broadcasting properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.