SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you keep supplies that are suposed to be kept dry(ie salt,sugar flour) from getting damp when you are cruising

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When cruisiing we have used tupperware over the years. It has proven to be an excellent product. We also try and not have an overabundace of bulk items, besides being bulky and heavy you need to store them in a good spot on the boat not to effect sailing if you are really taking alot, That way they don''t harden, get buggy, go bad etc. Flour, sugar, rice and more can be had most places in world.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use 1-gallon screw-top plastic mayonnaise jars (if you know anyone who works at a restaurant, they''ll probably be able to get more than you could ever use) for things like rice and noodles, and mason jars for things like sugar, salt, and tea.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use Ziplock bags, tupperware, screw top jars (plastic) and also vacuum jars which can be bought at Linen&Things. All seem to work reasonably well and prevent moisture from getting into dry stores.I do try to avoid anything made of glass (ie mason jars) since my bare feet always seem to find that shard which I didn''t see.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good point, SHIMSHON, re mason jars... I think theyre about the best for sealing, so I think theyre worth having anyway - I just try to be extremely careful with handling and storing them (and cover them liberally with Murphy-B-Gone <g>)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts