SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Someone has to pay to keep the lights on. I thought about the 3DI but the cost is just a bit much. laminated became a bad word so they just used other the words to describe the heat lamination process.
I understand your point, but would argue that the 3di is more of a composite than laminate. Lamination is gluing distinct layers together like plywood is made. Composite is embedding fibers in a continuous resin like fiberglass is made. There are no distinct layers in a composite, although multiple layers can exist within the same continuous resin.

It is a subtle distinction. Laying fiberglass is called laminating because one is putting layers on top of layers, but the result is a solid composite that one would not describe as a gluing together of separate layers.

No getting around the cost, though. Technically, I think 3di is probably less expensive to produce. After all, there is much less need for skilled sewing, no purchasing woven fabrics, manufacturing is CAD/CAM with less human involvement, etc. The design process is the same for all manufacturers, although some are better here than others, which could be reflected in cost. The upfront capital cost is quite large, but becomes amortized quickly.

But North is a business in a capitalist economy, and prices their product to maximize profits. Right now, the demand allows high pricing. As soon as it does not, the prices drop. I think we are seeing this to some extent with the current economic environment.

They are still expensive though.

Mark

·
11,766 Posts
Curious as to why you ordered new main and headsails from different companies? Did one not offer a cloth or type you wanted for each sail?

Mark
Purchased a year apart for one. Plus the Hydranet sail, I got a wonderful price on that , I couldn’t match in the Quantum equivalent. I shouldn’t be needing new sails for many years now, probably will be out of boating before their time is done.

I was not pleased with the North Sail customer service either. Like Jeff I really like the Annapolis Quantum. The sailmaker under his office is a great local loft and sells Elvestram....who I noticed has 25% off.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I recommend Fareastsails.com. They made three very well made sails at a reasonable price. I love the quality and work well. Process requires a bit of education on my part but smpooth transaction. With pro guidence.. [email protected],Gmail.com
Thanks, but I prefer to deal with a local sailmaker, even if they have the sails made offshore. That way I know that any problems will be taken care of promptly, and when I need repairs or service they will be there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts