SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the female end of my Shore power cable, one of the terminals was melting
I replaced it with a knockoff and it actually seems to be made better than the original. It has lugs instead of clamp terminals,

But you decide if marinco is really the last word in this stuff, I know everybody's going to say get a smart plug and I should but I'm not at this time

let the pictures make your decisions
It looks like the bottom of a light socket not a 30 amp input receptacle

Food Dishware Ingredient Yellow Recipe

Body jewelry Plant Automotive lighting Art Jewellery

Art paint Yellow Food Cuisine Paint

There is absolutely no way to get to those screw terminals without ripping the plastic apart by the time you do that it's time to buy another new end

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Guess you don’t get off the dock much?
:ROFLMAO:. I think he means he rolls the cord onto the boat, not hard-wired at the dock end. I hope.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's kind of a easy thing to do just wire it into and through a lazarette type compartment pull out cable, when you're not using it coil up back in the lazarette then, the only plug you have to worry about is the one on the dock

Reactions: Billk53

·
Dirt Free
3,396 Posts
Guess you don’t get off the dock much?
We left Toronto April 26 Currently on our 11th round trip between Toronto and the Abacos, 24,000hrs in our log between Duluth MN, Antigua and Galveston.
How about you ?

·
Dirt Free
3,396 Posts
The boat end is hard wired in on my boat.
Our hard wired cords go through these rollers to a compartment under the pilot seat.
We lift the seat and pull the cords inside. We have a cover that snaps on the outside to
cover the plugs.

Attachments

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a replacement plug melt. Probably partially due to water intrusion. I'd spend the money for a potted cable.
It is of course your choice but of course even if you use the high-end replacement it's still cheaper to replace the end then the cable which almost never goes bad and prices nowadays I'm really impressed with the $20 a replacement I got

·
Registered
34 Posts
Main reason for black marks and melted plug has to do w how the shore power cable is plugged in. To avoid future issues, it is recommended to plug in w both the shore side box Off, as well as breaker main inside the vessel to be Off. Turn on shore first, then main panel down below. This removes the sudden load/arching on the cable plug.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to believe that most people probably do it the wrong way it goes right in there with don't drive away from the gas pump with the pump handle in filler

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Main reason for black marks and melted plug has to do w how the shore power cable is plugged in. To avoid future issues, it is recommended to plug in w both the shore side box Off, as well as breaker main inside the vessel to be Off. Turn on shore first, then main panel down below. This removes the sudden load/arching on the cable plug.
Yes, unplugging a shore power cord while there is a big current load on the circuit can cause an arc and potentially some pitting on the connector, but it is momentary, and will not cause the connector to overheat. The over heating of a plug or receptacle is caused by a poor connection while the circuit is in use.

As for turning the shore side, then the mains in the boat etc, all of that is just ritual. The important thing is to turn off any ac loads before unplugging. If there is no current flow it makes no difference whether the cord is still live when you unplug it. It will not harm the plug in any way. Certainly it is a good idea to disconnect the power at the dock, but that is more about the potential for dropping a live cord in the water, not about causing harm to the cord.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Moody 376
425 Posts
This happened to me on Saturday. Went to unplug the cable and it would not budge. Finally was able to pull it free.
Looks like the female side melted itself together. Looked behind the plug and no evidence of any melt or scorching.
I checked the dock connections and they look good

cleaned up the male prongs and hooked up a15 amp cord with adapters so I could keep the batteries in shape

plan is to buy a new female plug to finish out the season. And then swap out to the smart plug in the winter
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive design

Jaw Ingredient Fluid Dish Gas

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The only load I had on mine was a small space heater, and it did the same thing. Wonder why houses catch fire? If you hard wire it to the boat, I'd keep an eye on the shore end to see if it starts to melt?
Something was wrong, because a 15 amp cord should handle that.
  • Not clean. Corrosion? Salt causing conduction (common)? A little waterproof grease helps.
  • Not dry. Weather ring not used?
  • Not fully engaged? Cocked sideways by strain? Ring missing or not used?
  • Not fully twisted and locked? Lack of strain relief and motion can cause this. Male part worn?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The only load I had on mine was a small space heater, and it did the same thing. Wonder why houses catch fire? If you hard wire it to the boat, I'd keep an eye on the shore end to see if it starts to melt?
A space heater is not an insignificant load, and it is likely drawing amps continuously for long periods. Even a slightly corroded connection on the plug can heat up over time.

Electric space heaters on boats likely cause a lot of fires.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts