SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, my 37 had been in 220v countries (new zealand, hong kong) for about 9 years. during that time, I used a shorepower system improvised by the former owner, and a marine charger (Phoenix) and everything worked fine. now that I am in japan, I would like to switch back to the boat's original 110v shorepower system. but I am afraid that after that many years the system may have developed problems just sitting in damp salty environment. what are the precautions I need to take before re-commissioning the 110v shorepower system, besides like sanding the pins on the plug?

actually the marina here provides both 110 and 220v shorepower, but the 220v socket (female) is a locking type with four pins. (my plug (male) is a 3-pin non-locking type.) they don't have a plug of that kind for sale in japan to fit, and I searched westmarine and all the 220v plugs it sells have 3 pins only:cool:. any lead about a 4-pin 220? I may need that if my 110v system has anomalies owing to prolonged unuse.

thanks folks! yzlian psc37-260

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can make your own pigtail for the 220V. Because of the many differrent pin configurations of the twist lock, you will need to know exactly which socket you are dealing with. The configuration numbers are printed on the socket/plug. I'm sure somewhere in Japan is an electrical supplier.
Unless you are dealing with three phase power (highly unlikely, but check), the fourth pin is neutral, so no need to connect for your application.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts