SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody!

I'm going on a short 4-5 day cruise over Memorial day and was wondering what people here consider a good "Checklist" of things to check/do before they leave on such a trip.

I own a CAL 31 for over a year now I'm fairly comfortable with it and it's systems. we've taken several 1-2 week trips, and so far I've never had a problem, but I'll be the first to say that my preparation has been somewhat disorganized.

The things I normally do before a trip like this are:

Check over the engine
Change oil/transmission fluid (if this is the first trip of the season)
Make sure I have spare fluids (oil, coolant, ATF, etc)
Fill water and fuel tanks (including propane)
Double check ground tackle (inspect for fray's and chafing)
Double check safety gear (flares, fire extinguishers, PFDs)
Double check electronics (make sure all are functional, have spare batteries etc).
Check bilge pumps (including back up hand pumps)
Check standing and running rigging
Check that the head/holding tank are functioning
Check see strainers

I'm sure this is not a complete list, and I'm sure that I've overlooked things (hopefully nothing too serious!). What are some things that you look for and think about before you set off???

Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Float plan - tell someone where you plan to be and when you plan to return.

Insurance / tow service -- make sure you have your desired level of insurance and towing insurance in place.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freesail99:
Nice list, interesting some of the things that you need for a transpac!

blowinstink:
Float plan is a must, I always leave one with my family... Thanks for the reminder on the Towing. I have BoatUS but I need to check and make sure it hasnt expired...

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Flush and fill the water tanks?

And make sure the VHF is working. Also check the battery fluid level and charge, as needed, and check for corrosion on battery cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts