1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my list for a new boat for sailing along the east coast to two
boats.
a new beneteau 34, platinum edition, fully loaded
a 3 or 4 year old tartan 3400, not quite as completely equipped, but at the same price as the new beneteau. Would welcome opinions.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Tartan USED to have a much better rep than Bennie - 2 or 3 grades higher quality. That seems to have changed in recent years but I have no personal experience of that.

If you don't like one better than the other, I'd be tempted to go with the new boat with a warranty. Keep in mind though that "sailaway" isn't, when it comes to new boats. You can easily spend 10% of the purchase price in completely outfitting a new boat.

Used boats usually come with that all done.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
A sail drive is a deal killer for me.

Luckily I don't plan on buying a new boat anytime soon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not to be contrary, but simply state facts as I have experienced
them.
Am very comfortable with lack of maintenance required on my
saildrive.
Bought boat new 28 years ago with Yanmar SD20 saildrive,
Yanmar still makes same SD20.
If saildrive becomes issue for you deciding on which boat, check out
the extensive comments on this forum and others from saildrive
owners.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hello,

I would pick the 3-4 year old Tartan. It's already depreciated. Find one where the owner added the expensive options like dodger, bimini, autopilot, inverter, etc and you'll be way ahead.

Barry

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I'd look for a 3500 over the 3400 from Tartan. The fast assed 3400 is a bit slower in lighter winds. Altho I do like the floor plan of the 3400 better. With this all in mind, the B34 might verywell be a good boat too. Jeanneau has the new 349 out, with a starting price of $125K, this might also be a good one to look at with in this boat range size.

marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
I considered the Tartan before I ordered my 2014 B34 which I took delivery of last summer. It does not perform as well as Tartan but has great livability for a 34 foot cruiser. I am in the northeast and find it very livable and use it every weekend in summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My B34 has a furling main sail and shoal draft. It does not point as high and is slower than a Tartan with deep keel and fully battened main sail or the pocket boom Tartan has on some models with battened main sail.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
My B34 has a furling main sail and shoal draft. It does not point as high and is slower than a Tartan with deep keel and fully battened main sail or the pocket boom Tartan has on some models with battened main sail.
ANY boat with furling sails vs non furling, shoal vs deep draft, full enclosure vs non will be slower than those with out!

BUT, some designs are slower than other designs too. THe b34 will be a slower design generally speaking than a tartan, as they have less sail area, and shorter drafts, including the deep draft models.

BUT, as some would say, get what ever floats your boat, or you will not enjoy yourself in any shape or form!

marty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.