SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

should I be offended?

4K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  OPossumTX 
#1 ·
I have learned that my Hinterhoeller is a pretty rare bird but when a fellow on my dock asked yesterday if it was a Cape Dory I was not sure if I should be offended or pleased. Whatcha think?

#4 ·
CDs are the VW bug of sailing.. everybody knows what they are even if they have never seen one. It is just typical to a non-sailor that anything that looks remotely "traditional" might be a Cape Dory.

I am expecting to hear it a lot.. my boat is also an Alberg

#11 ·
I assume your question is asked tongue-in-cheek rbyham. Someone likes your boat by asking about it. Since you also like your boat, have fun talking about it. Our boat is also a pretty rare bird. I've had exactly one person who has correctly identified our boat. I'm never offended, but take it as an opportunity.

BTW, I have a hard time identifying newer boat designs. Quite frankly all those Jeanneaus, Beneteaus, Hunters etc. all look the same to me ;).

#12 ·
We've never owned a 'Benehuntalina' to this point.. so we even get into conversations with experienced 'knowledgable' dockwalkers.

For me, it's just one of the enjoyable things about owning a relatively unique boat.

Reactions: bljones
#14 ·
And then there's the classic question "If you need to ask, you don't need to know" usually about the price of a boat.

I don't care if someone does or doesn't know what I drive, ride, or wear. I won't fly big logos on anything, unless I'm well paid for it.

So the guy doesn't know what the boat is. Just tell him "No, the Cape Dory has..."whatever kind of cove stripe detail on it. And then take he conversation where you will.

You can have a nice brass plaque cast and mounted on a podium on the dock, if you want to let passerby know all about what your boat is. Charge 'em admission, and annual membership, too. (WEG)

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
You should be pleased that the guy asked about your boat... If I were interested, but knew that you are the kind of guy to get hung up on brand names, then I probably would not have struck up a conversation with you.

#17 ·
I was once asked if my boat was a chlorox bottle !. I looked him in the eye and said " why, yes it is, and what is your boat ?" he said I"t's a xxxx yyy zzz," and when I get blah,blah,blah done........it'll be blah,blah blah.......I sailed away leaving him yakking about it.

Fire away......

#19 ·
In our case.. current boat is a 'Fast 345', a Brazilian built version of the British 'Nicholson 345'. Nicholson built about 30 before selling the tooling to Fast. They built approx 130, of which a half dozen were known to be imported to the US. We likely have the ONLY one in Canada, so I'd say that makes it rare- here anyway.

Our former boat was a Choate 40, they were produced on a semi custom basis by Dencho Marine in CA.. no two were identical. Different decks, different cockpits, different layouts. All together I think maybe 30 were built, the molds sold and one last version built by the buyer of the molds (this boat, and the molds, actually ended up here in BC too)

So while not so rare, our version was somewhat unique too.

A recently posted picture of a Columbia Constellation would probably qualify too - though from a recognized, once-mainstream builder, only 6 were ever made. (Good find, SJB!)

#20 ·
We have a broad blue stripe on our topsides, so of course, she must be a Hallberg-Rassy right? Never mind the two boats look nothing alike; they both have a big blue stripe. And this from seasoned sailors, not dock walkers, some even HR owners. Unfathomable. What is it they say about assuming?

#29 ·
Eh, I would have guessed that your boat was an HR form the small thumbnail pic. :eek:

I guess if I thought about it I would remember that the only HR ketch rigs that I've seen were flush deck and you have a raised cabin trunk, so it's not likely an HR, but your boat isn't too far off. Thick blue stripe, man, thick blue stripe.

FWIW, I've had people insist that my boat was "one of them Taiwan built boats."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.