SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a 30' steel ketch for sale, it has a lot of highly visible rust on the deck and hull, it would need to be taken out of the water, grit blasted and repainted and refouled, the current owner had a quote for this work at nearly £10,000, I cannot afford this but I might be able to find someone to do the work for maybe half that, would the finished boat be worth the expense?
I do not have the skills to do the work myself.
Thanks.
P.S the interior also needs a complete refit.
PPS. The boat is at least 35 years old.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
How much is the asking price? Basically, from your description, it is a complete project of unknown integrity, which may or may not be worth less than it would cost to scrap it. If you are seriously interested in the boat, have it surveyed, and get an informed opinion of it's condition.

Frankly, for what it is worth, here's my opinion: If you cannot afford the 10K to do the hull, you can't afford the untold number of pounds that are needed to bring the rest of the boat up to snuff. Keep looking.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Our 2nd yacht was a steely. She had no rust and was inert (anodes remain untouched for >7 years). Once a year I spent 2 half days getting rid of rust spots/ stains on the deck . Everywhere else was fine. GRP boats should be close to being maintenance free. Your potential new boat already has huge problems. My 2cents worth - forget that boat. They have let it get away from them and you would never catch up. A new coat of paint hides a lot, but rust will emerge after a short time. Run away (just my opinion)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I have been having considerable doubts about this boat, but needed a push to finally let it go.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Rust never sleeps... and a 30' boat is pretty small for a steel boat... and probably a lot heavier than most boats here size and more tender due to the boat having a higher center of gravity—due to the weight of the construction materials.

If it has a lot of visible rust, chances are very likely it has a lot of hidden rust. RUN AWAY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts