SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The yard brought up an interesting question. They asked me if I wanted to have my transmisison inspected and/or rebuilt as necessary since the engine and tranny are currently out of the boat and the engine is being rebuilt.

The transmisison in question is the venerable Borg Warner velvet drive 2.1:1 and is original to the boat in 1985. The main engine hour meter has 1,450 hours on it and since the boat is equipped with a genset, the transmission presumably has the same number of hours.

Prices for the inspection/rebuild are as follows:

#1. Inspect and re-seal. $2k all up.
#2 Inspect and replace clutch $3k all up.
#3 Inspect and completely rebuilt $4k all up.

I have to admit this sounds like a good idea based on the age of the engine and based on the fact that everything else forward of the engine will be in a nearly new condition. However, I am getting really tired of putting money into the boat that I haven't used....

Before it's suggested, I'm stuck with these prices and have no free days at all (before it all goes back together) to arrange sending it to another shop.

What do y'all think?

Medsailor

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Seriously... did you rename your boat without all the ritual hoopla as others here have suggested giving you this bad mojo? :laugher :laugher

I'm glad your s/v is being worked on and that soon you'll get her back in the water but while that engine's out and the transmission is just sitting there... I'd overhaul/rebuild it, you'll be glad you did as you know it'll be problem free (assuming the mechanics don't make a mess of that too). :eek:

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Med ..... 1500 hours seems a very short life for a diesel engine. Well it does to me anyway. If so, why the rebuild ?

That said, or at least asked, surely you would get more than than 1500 hours out the gearbox. To me that sounds like an awful lot of money on the offchance.

Depends somewhat on why the rebuild at such a relatively young age.

(Apologies if somehow I've missed an engine thread but I've been awol.)

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Med ..... 1500 hours seems a very short life for a diesel engine. Well it does to me anyway. If so, why the rebuild ?

That said, or at least asked, surely you would get more than than 1500 hours out the gearbox. To me that sounds like an awful lot of money on the offchance.

Depends somewhat on why the rebuild at such a relatively young age.
A wasp built a nest in my anti-siphon valve vent, flooding my engine with seawater on my first turn of the key as a new owner.

Clearly I have offended Neptune somehow... I must figure out how to make amends.

MedSailor

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
If I were spending your money on my boat, I would have the tranny rebuilt. If I were spending my money on my boat, I would not in this case. 1,450 hours is pretty low time for a tranny. Is it accessible, without lifting the motor? If so, I would take my chances with it, as pulling it later wouldn't be all that expensive.

Now, as for Neptune, you definitely have some fixin' to do.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were spending your money on my boat, I would have the tranny rebuilt. If I were spending my money on my boat, I would not in this case. 1,450 hours is pretty low time for a tranny. Is it accessible, without lifting the motor? If so, I would take my chances with it, as pulling it later wouldn't be all that expensive.

Now, as for Neptune, you definitely have some fixin' to do.
You left out option three; spending your money to fix my boat. :D

MedSailor

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Now that's what I call getting stung. :p

Wouldn't there be grounds for an insurance claim ?

Nonetheless, and given the bucks I couldn't justify the tranny rebuild unless you have reason to believe water made it into the tranny and I can't see why it would have.

Anywho, I'd give Neptune the flick and have a shot at Amphritite. Poseiden's consort. Bound to have the last word. :)

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Fist how did TDW miss those threads. Sounds like as long as no water made it into the tranny you should be fine. But it may make sense to do a thorough oil change and seals since you have the motor out. Have you gotten your motor back in yet?

I think the only way to appease Neptune at this point is to spend more boat bucks than you can afford. You have your homage to pay. Your Nautical Tithe to pay so to speak.

·
3,505 Posts
Tranny is already out of the boat and they want to charge you that kind of coin? Save your dough..To inspect and replace seals 2K? Come on, at 100 bucks an hours that's 20 hours to do what, maybe a days job or even 3-4 hours for somebody that knows what they are doing. Let go of your ankles on this one.

Med-real world example, I had my tranny rebuilt in Thailand. The guys pulled it out in the morning. The next day about noon they called me to come in and look at the disassembled tranny for my inspection. Not a lot of time to do these jobs.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Those velvet drives (usually) last forever, even in a commercial fishing boat. Even my old Volvo trans went 5000 hrs before needing a new clutch. If it was working OK I would leave it alone. Worst case is that you use it a bit and if you have any questions before heading to the south seas you have it rebuilt (those prices seem extremely high especially since it's already out of the boat). Don't fix what aint broke.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Fist how did TDW miss those threads. Sounds like as long as no water made it into the tranny you should be fine. But it may make sense to do a thorough oil change and seals since you have the motor out. Have you gotten your motor back in yet?

I think the only way to appease Neptune at this point is to spend more boat bucks than you can afford. You have your homage to pay. Your Nautical Tithe to pay so to speak.
Embarassed silence. Quick, quick .... how did I miss a 16 page thread. There must be some way to weasel my way out of this.

Amazingly enough .... stupidly enough ? ..... I had seen the thread but for some unknown reason .... aw damn there's that stupid word again ..... I didn't put the two together.

Hey, I've been away. Only just plugged the brain back in , still running eratically ..... maybe a wasp in the intake ?

:eek:

Reactions: miatapaul

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Get an oil sample test, that will tell more than a inspection. But like others say if it's accessible, leave it as is, you can always pull it later. They aren't big gears and can just about be single handed.

That is too much money whoever is asking that. I think they are trying to take advantage or they have never worked on one before and charging higher because of unknowns.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
I would drain the fluid and either have it sent to a lab or just feel the fluid that settles to the bottom of the container after a day or two for contaminants. The clutch plates should leave a little very fine grit in the oil as normal wear, but there should be no larger metal bits in there. There should be a screen filter you should check as well. If it seems OK, flush and refill. A healthy tranny's fluid should be red, not brown and pretty see through.
If you feel there is any possibility that the former owner abused it, then a rebuild might be in order, but as mentioned above, those BW tranys are pretty bullet proof. I even found one running in reverse as forward for many years when an owner put on the wrong prop.
A couple of points to consider; if it ain't broke, don't fix it; how much do you trust those doing the work?
How easy is access once it's back in the boat? I've rebuilt quite a few over the years and if getting it out is not a major project, then why bother now?
Good luck.

Reactions: RichH

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
If the trans. only has 1400 hours, there is no water in the trans. fluid, the trans fluid assayed to having little 'friction material' or metal particles, the input and output shafts can be turned without any noticeable 'binding' or noticeable 'backlash' to the gearing, the engine mounts seem to still be 'intact' and not visible sagged .. to me, it would be a prudent financial risk of doing nothing but reinstalling it.

FWIW - Since the engine is apparently already removed, and transmissions usually are removed with engines, the prices quoted for 'rip-down inspection', rebuild, etc. as quoted are seemingly at approximately TWICE the normal (east coast US) amount for a transmission thats 'already out' ... such would tend to give me a 'quite queezy feeling' about the total cost of the entire 'job' being done. No further comment. :-|

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.