SailNet Community banner

Should the Negative Rep system be re-instated?

• NO, LEAVE IT AS IS

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • YES, ANONIMOUS

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • YES, NOT ANONIMOUS

Votes: 14 37.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Given the most recent "political" incidents here at Sailnet, and the fact that some believe some should tone down, be banned or otherwise banned, and that complaints of posters about other posters flood the mods mail boxes, shouldn't we reconsider the re-instatement of the negative rep point system??

With oR without anonimity?? (sp??)

What do you think??

I think it was a good way to tell some here that they were going in the wrong direction..the light would go red..and in a way, we asa comunity would solve the issues ourselves, without much whining to the mods...

on the other hand..I got a lot of hate neg reps, so I don't know..

what do you think??

Should I just shut up??

·
Registered
987 Posts
I like the idea on non-anonymous neg rep. And if the reporting system that Cam suggested gets enacted, I would think that should also apply to hate or excessive neg rep. lack of anonymity should keep most of the hate neg rep out.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I like the idea of staying the hell out of Off-Topic, myself. My boat, currently on the hard here in Toronto, has a cambered deck, and currently has about two inches of snow over an inch of ice, and as I was up there today, tying down the remains of a shredded plastic tarp over my partially removed pilothouse roof, I slipped on the ice and slammed my crotch into a cold pipe stanchion, which, upon reflection, was the only reason I didn't fall 14 feet to the frozen ground.

"Oh, well," I thought, feeling the ache in my bruised testicles subside as my ears began to freeze, "at least I'm not reading Off-Topic."

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
No, if you have something you can't say in front of everyone, you shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
No, if you have something you can't say in front of everyone, you shouldn't be saying it in the first place.
I'm with John. If you haven't got the balls to post it, then rather keep it to yourself.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
999 Posts
I like the idea of staying the hell out of Off-Topic, myself. My boat, currently on the hard here in Toronto, has a cambered deck, and currently has about two inches of snow over an inch of ice, and as I was up there today, tying down the remains of a shredded plastic tarp over my partially removed pilothouse roof, I slipped on the ice and slammed my crotch into a cold pipe stanchion, which, upon reflection, was the only reason I didn't fall 14 feet to the frozen ground.

"Oh, well," I thought, feeling the ache in my bruised testicles subside as my ears began to freeze, "at least I'm not reading Off-Topic."
How ever do you keep up with the latest trends in the romancing of sheep? (vbg)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I was one of those that a year or so ago said that neg reps should not be removed. I thought at that time it was a good check and balance system. I thought the abusers should be dealt with on case by case basis.

I no longer believe that. We got people on the board that would not care what their rep would be and make a joke of it anyway. Things have been so angry lately that it would be abused again.

I vote no!

By the way did anyone notice how quiet things were last night. The Mods are doing their job and a good one at that.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I'll chime in..

My vote... Get rid of Off Topic or at least ban all political discussions in OT!

Quite often animosity developed between members in OT winds its way into the sailing side of the forums. There are thousands of political forums out there & our OT forum here is polluting the regular forums.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
I think that IF neg rep is reinstated; then it should NOT be anon, but visible not only to the receiver; but to the public.

As to Off-Topic; I like the forum because there is lots of off-topic stuff that I find interesting. And it DOES give insight into some of the other members (man, does it!!)

I'm generally against banning any topic of conversation; as I am against pretty much any sort of censorship. For myself, I generally find that political threads are pretty well identifiable, and I can avoid topics that stick in my craw.

It comes down to personal responsibility. If you cannot read/deal with diverging opinions on certain topics, it is your responsibility to not read them. If you fail to do so, and post ranting personal diatribes that cross the line; there needs to be some sort of progressively increasing censure system. PARTICULARLY if you cannot keep bad feelings from jumping to the on-topic forums.

And of course you can always use the "ignore" function.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I don't think getting rid of the OT forum is feasible... however, banning politics would be... :) And, I for one, would be more than happy to see politics banned as a topic.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
I think everybody should just stop whining and learn to just get along with people. It's not hard to skip a post. It's not hard to skip a thread. It's not hard to skip a forum. It's not even hard to skim content to see if it's worth reading or not.

No member has the right or responsibility to try to force any other member out of the site or even out of a particular thread. It's not your site. There may be people that don't want YOU on the site. Just deal with it.

In short, everybody just shut up and post something funny or interesting. Oh yeah. Or helpful. :)

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like OT, if I were to read just sailing stuff..I wouldn't be here..

most of the time, sailing related stuff is very boring, nothing new and a whole bunch of people asking the same old questions..NOW..nothing wrong with this, that is the way it is..
but OT provides a place for us to be and comunicate while we're not on the sailingthreads...(besides where would Sway write??)...
I agree politics is boring, but I avoid them, unless Sway is there and I just kid with him...but I avoid them..

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
Does anyone have a cogent statement of an intended purpose for "neg-rep" that makes sense?

I avoid OT like a plague, never go there...so no overflow for me...I experienced "neg rep" used when others didn't like my opinion on something boating related...and most likely to come from someone with no rep of their own...so it served as a means to suppress controversial boating discussion and free exchange of information.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I do the same here that I do when I'm on a long race. Keep the hell away from politics. When I'm here I want to talk sailing, I don't want to not like someone whose posts I enjoy because they have a different political philosophy. I took one look at the OT forum and, after one post, quickly decided that I wasn't going there again. That is one promise to myself I really intend to keep. If I want to flame people on political subjects I can go to any one of many sites where that's the blood sport.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OT is not only politics...I play there, I joke there, and it's there that I post my non sailing related stuff..I want OT...so I stay away from the politics..they are scratched one sided records anyway...they contribute nothing to my happiness or well being..

As far as the neg rep stuff.. I don't really know if I want them back...

maybe we need more moderators..maybe we need to take more attention..

I don't really know..I got pretty hammered with the neg rep stuff before...

·
moderate?
996 Posts
I didn't vote. There was no choice for ELIMINATE ALL REP ALTOGETHER. It is a joke...people with friends get rep....people get rep for political opinions...people have rep "parties" ...people who have great experience and savvy in one or more areas get no rep for a LONG time. I've got one of the highest reps here are there are MANY I consider far more expert than myself with half my rep. The whole system sucks and should be eliminated.

As for off topic...anything goes is fine with me and I would oppose any attempt to restrict topics there.

·
Registered
771 Posts
One of the great things about Sailnet is that it offers great information from experienced sailors and basic knowledge from those willing to take the time to answer hat is some times a silly question.

It also offers the opportunity to OPENLY discuss different views on most any topic of choice in the off topic thread. I for one find that to be one of the things that makes this site so appealing. I may not even offer my opinion that often but enjoy reading those of others.

I think things need to be left the way they are. As said by many if you don't like the topic or the person, don't read it. Let the mods do they're job and let the Sailnet society be what it is.

I find a certain Irony in the fact that this was all started in the AFOC thread which was as i see it created to say what you feel. Go Figure

1 - 20 of 33 Posts