SailNet Community banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Grampian 34 Ketch
75 Posts
Our previous boat, Tanzer 8.5. This was taken back in 2015 as we buddy boat sailed with friends from Halifax to Cape Breton NS and back. Three weeks aboard with my wife and a newborn. (He turned 3 months old on the trip)

Do not recommend such a trip on a boat of this size with an infant! No space to escape. The wife considered abandoning ship in the middle of the bras dors and just swimming for it. Interesting memories though.

The ****ter the conditions, the better the baby slept. Get to that calm anchorage, instantly awake!

Edit: to be fair to my wife, I was a large contributing factor in her desires to swim for it! Being a new parent is tough, and I could've been much more sensitive than I was.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
View attachment 138897
Sailing on the Chesapeake Bay a week ago... fun times!
Nice boatspeed!

Only 16ft depth....I would find that very un-nerving! It wouldn't take much of an underwater obstacle to ruin your day at that speed!

I am used to being in very deep water...16ft is practically beached in my world!

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,142 Posts
Nice boatspeed!

Only 16ft depth....I would find that very un-nerving! It wouldn't take much of an underwater obstacle to ruin your day at that speed!

I am used to being in very deep water...16ft is practically beached in my world!

Interesting comment.. it depends on the features and types of bottoms your are sailing over. Most of Northport harbor is less than 12' same for Dering Harbor. These are sandy or muddy bottoms... and obstructions are marked.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice boatspeed!

I agree. If I see 16 ft I am pretty sure there are going to be rocks around. Sounds like the Chesapeake is a different world. I bet anchor rodes are shorter too.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts