SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking hard at a boat for sale. She's clean and well taken care of but the salon needs some updating.
If you've done some renovating on the interior of yours and are proud of of your handiwork, please show off what you've done to make her yours.

·
Registered
Moody 376
164 Posts
my boat was on the hard for over 3000 days

striped headliners, deep clean on everything, new upholstry, new lighting, mold/mildew remidiation, new windows. Thankfully structure was good based on inpsections, but needed alot of detail work. still have a lot more to do. Things the like the veneer peeling in a few spots, will likley get sanded out, and then repainted but its low priorty, same thing for the cabin sole.

get the boat functioning and sustainable and in a way that you can go out and use it... and then break the interior work into smaller more managable pieces.

Also I would go on some of the youtuber channels, before you groan, binge on the early seasons. like Uma, wind hippy etc , and others where they are refitting the boat. You can get some good ideas on....

show us some pics of what you bought...

Attachments

·
Registered
Contest 36s
6,839 Posts
Some nice work here.... I started with a beautiful new teak interior... But did make various modifications/adds... more like icing on a cake. Not the scope of work in a rebab seen here.

·
Administrator
8,140 Posts
The important thing - in my mind - is the expense..... (read on below)

Original

Furniture Table Interior design Wood Room

New

Plant Property Furniture Chair Wood

The blue was probably OK when it was new, colour too dark for me.. but anyway, By the time I got the boat in 2008 it was in need of a facelift. But it was 2 years later till I could afford it... in location - Malaysia where good work is affordable; - and in quality but affordable workmen. If you go to a "Marine Trimmer" you will be trimmed of your wallet. Marine tirmmers are experts in sewing the compound curves or a boats interior. There is only ONE other trade that is as experienced: Motor trimmers who re-do old cars and busses. No, not old Ferraris as they will be as expensive as marine trimmers, but people who recover bus seats, taxi seats, commercial vehicles etc.

In Malaysia is becomes ridiculously cheap, I think we spent US$500 to do every bed, cushion and seat on the boat.
And they still look great 11 years later! (OK one is on he way out but we got spare fabric) Its microfibre and you can spill anything on it and it just washes straight out. Including ball point pen.

For all work on your boat try to get a non-marine workman.

Resurfacing the counters in the galley we used a regular kitchen guy to one tenth the price.

So, be smart..

Mark

·
Registered
Contest 36s
6,839 Posts
Shiva is 36 yrs old and has been re upholstered several times... It was navy blue and it still is dark navy blue with lots of teak so it is "darkish"... But I find that relaxing escaping from the brilliant sun exterior.

I don't have digital images for the "before" as they didn't have them thingies back then... it was Kodak and I probably have snapshots buried somewhere. AFTER interior work aside from upholstery was:
teak grate for head floor
teak vents in head locker/closets
Salon - mini shelves for cassettes, CDs and DVDs (all now obsolete because of blue tooth and streaming svs - Use them for all sorts of small things, cut lid into table to access files, added bins under steps for storage, half hull
Galley - spice shelves, tumbler and mug shelves, PT holder, lit in counter to access dish storage, added faucets, replaced stove, lined stove area in stainless steel, upgraded ice box to refer
Nav station - rebuilt several times as equipment was upgraded.
Aft cabin - removed sink and converted space to counter access spares storage added open shelf.
Rugs, fans, LED lighting upgrades, hatches and ports
Property Building Interior design Wood Hardwood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts