SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to start my upper cabinetry work in my galley.

I'm looking for ideas for shelving, compartments, dish stowage, door/no door mechanisms and options.

If you could post pictures of these areas....if you have doors on these cabinets can you take a picture of them open so I can see how the contents are stowed.

The picture shows the areas I’ll be working on, you can see two over counter areas to the left (forward) of the range and one much sallower area to the right behind the freezer.

I sure appreciate the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you are willing to partially block off one of those portlights with a dish rack suspended between those "knees", you'll have a place to dry your dishes.

You could make it so that the rack is made of dowelling, and that it slides in and out of slots. You could then make the dishrack double as a drying rack.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don’t think I'd want dishes hanging at head height…but your idea to have a dish rack sliding has me thinking…if we look at the space at the port forward end of the counter …there is a space for a back/upper cabinet….I could see the dish rack sliding in and out of part of that space towards the sink.
Interesting…thanks

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Prehaps another pcture of the area from a differant angle?

·
Registered
309 Posts
So when are you going to start the "show us your galley" thread?

I would go with doors for the cabinets that will hold stuff that won't look nice, since the boat is so beautiful. The cabinets are so close to the counter, you don't have room for the usual side swinging cabinet doors. You would have to clear off the counter every time you want to open the cabinet. That leaves sliding doors or ones that swing up. I envision something that looks just like the doors I can see in the background of the last pic.

I like the previously mentioned idea of putting the dishes in the section by the sink, in a pull-out unit or compartments that fit the dishes well. Then the dishes would be accessible both from the galley and from the other side.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
The cabinets are so close to the counter, you don't have room for the usual side swinging cabinet doors.
You could have room for sliding doors.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks WinterRiver
I thought this was the "show us your galley thread"...I'm gonna start it now!
The door problem is one concern. I may have the option of having the door slide straight down as well!
If like that I'll want them to be light weight...the doors you see in the back-ground are heavy.
If you notice, I haven’t installed the panels in the under cabinet doors yet.... I still don’t know what I want there...
Thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
My only suggestion is NOT to use what I call the "Finger Breaker" method of installing latches that I have something like 26 of on my boat. I was against them before I owned them and now that I'm stuck with them my opinion of sticking your finger in a hole and then unlatching something with your finger is the dumbest thing I can think of on a boat. Picture getting "waked" or otherwise violently tossed with your finger in a wooden hole wrapped around a piece of metal :eek: Maybe..... OK for sliding doors like my galley but not a latch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finger latch point taken...thanks.
I have finger holes on many of my cabin doors....no internal latch, but a hole all the same.

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Part of the problem as I see Kalvuic is that you've set the bar relatively high given what the rest of the boat looks like. :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
The ones I do like are possibly Scandvic.... not at all sure, that came standard on Catalinas at least in the late 90's. Good quality (surprise) well rounded and about as easy on the head or whatever may hit them as any latch I can think of.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IIRC, Catalina made most of their own cabinetry... I could be wrong, but I believe that was the case.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I certainly will be interested in other galley designs as well, as I intend to re-design my galley. I also second the lack of usefulness with the stick your finger through to get to the latch ones. I have those all over mine - while aesthetically pleasing, you can never get your finger in while wearing gloves. They also have a tendency when any weight is behind the latch to pop open.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've thought about those doors....it all boils down to quality...most are low, but it may be possible to build my own of a reasonable spec. that would operate smooth and last.
Cleaning is also a concern.
At this phase of the design all options are on the table.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks WinterRiver
I thought this was the "show us your galley thread"...I'm gonna start it now!
Hmmm, I might have been just a bit distracted when I posted.

Here's my galley, nothing to write home about and just a bit dated :rolleyes:

I've seen a version very similar to mine with dish storage in the open space below the cabinets. That may be a good first upgrade for me. I can deal with replacing the cabinet doors when it gets to the top of my list. It's a long list.

Here's a much nicer version.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great pics...I have to say I may favor the cleaner lines and overall brighter feel of your galley.
Do your doors open up...or to the sides?
A little off topic but I'm also looking at companion way steps....how do you like your curved steps....do they also curve out?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts