SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a late 70s rk 20. The port side shroud to the top of the mast is frayed. How do I go about replacing this? I see spools of cable online but how do I connect the necessary threaded part to the end to meet the turnbuckle? I am lost

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Hi. I have a late 70s rk 20. The port side shroud to the top of the mast is frayed. How do I go about replacing this? I see spools of cable online but how do I connect the necessary threaded part to the end to meet the turnbuckle? I am lost
The rigging is very simple but you will need special tools, you'll be better off contacting a rigger to do the job.

Where are you located?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
ask around the local marinas to see who is a fair priced rigger. Cheaper isn't always better. If your sailing in the ocean you want 316L stainless 1x19 if your only sailing in fresh water you can use 304, 1x19 stainless wire.

·
Swab
825 Posts
As it happens there is pretty good article on DIY standing rigging replacement at a familiar web site....

At least I think it is good ;)

Excerpt:

This article assumes that you are not going to simply call the boat yard and tell them to replace your standing rigging but there are several options for the do-it-yourself Skipper. Which option you choose will depend on your budget, how involved in the process you wish to be or how much of the work you want to do yourself, what geographic area you sail in and what your long term sailing plans are. The easiest way would be to simply take your old wire to a rigging shop and have them make up new stays and shrouds with swaged end fittings. The lowest cost would be for you measure the old rigging and order new stays and shrouds with swaged end fittings from a chandlery (West Marine offers a rigging service that has proved satisfactory for many sailors). The highest cost and most work would be to buy the wire and cut and assemble the rigging your self using mechanical end fittings.

Full article here

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
It depends on the length and size of the wire used.

For 5/32" (which is what I'd expect on a 20' boat) West Marine charges $2.36/foot for the wire. Ends are going to be $10-$20 each. Labor will probably be $20/swage.

So around $120 per stay. You should at a minimum replace both shrouds and the forestay and backstay.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
riggingonly.com is the best buy online deal...I can recommend them greatly

or for your size boat do it yourself

you can also go simple and nicopress

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I replaced all of the rigging on my Pearson 30 using Hayn Hi-Mod fittings and Norseman fittings. If you watch Hayn's videos, and follow the instructions, you can do this yourself. The videos are simple and clear to understand.

I've been racing and sailing in 15-30 kts since the start of the season. Yesterday, I was out in a short chop that shock-loaded the rigging several times.

I do advise you to stick to the manufacturer's videos and instructions. There are several private individuals who have posted videos of themselves installing these terminals, using methods that I disagree with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.