SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sailors out there who would be interested in helping me move my Santana 30 from Philadelphia to Beaufort, NC? Anywhere along the way, Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Cape Henry to Ocracoke, etc. If you have or know of a good anchorage or even a private dock we can use for a night or two, so much the better. I'm thinking teams of 2 or 3 spending 1 or 2 days each, moving the boat 80 - 140 miles each jump. No pay, just the thanks of a bargain basement sailor who wants his boat in home waters. How 'bout it - Lil help? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
NOW??? Pretty chilly, wet, and possibly dangerous. Is your liferaft stored on the cabintop or below? There aren't too many people around to help out there in December if you get into trouble. Cape Hatteras can be an issue in summertime, let alone the onset of winter. If you plan on taking the ICW, let people know. That would change the equation considerably.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Not a good time to be asking for volunteers... holidays are here...with family obligations... and the weather isn't all that fun for sailing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Touche', gents. Yes, it's kinda cold, and that's what makes wet such an issue. I'm thinking down the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake/Delaware Canal, down the C Bay to Cape Henry, where we reach the big decision point - inside or outside? If the weather is good, i.e., wind from points north, it's a sleigh ride down the coast (been there/done that). If it's headwinds, or rain, or too cold, we wait or take it slow down the ditch.

The weather is one of the reasons I'd like to take little bites, a day or two here, a day or two there. Sunblock will not be a major expense, but I always have hats, boots, and gloves on my boats. The ocean can be a very inhospitable place.

At least we're headed south! I noticed you both raised legitimate concerns, but didn't run.

John

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
about in the middle of the bay is a decent anchorage, right off the inner harbor. its with 200 yards of a fuel dock, west marine, safeway. if you want more details im me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts