SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Side Gangway

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 · (Edited)
As you are browsing through the used marine gear chandlers in your area, we would sincerely appreciate it if you would keep an eye out for a side gangway, as pictured below. Thank you, in advance for your attention on this.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If we have no luck through this post, we will be getting quotes from shops in Grenada and Trinidad. Would you be up to the freight to your location, if fabrication is cheap enough. 2 would help keep the price down.
Anybody else interested?

#4 ·
I had one of those that came with my Col. 43. It appears it was that exact model. I sat on it for 10 years and finally sold it a couple of years ago - sorry. :D

You couldn't have afforded the shipping from here anyway - that things was HEAVY even though it was alloy.

Last I looked they were still being made in L.A. but they cost several boat bucks. Mine priced out over $4K new.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I have a passerelle that runs off the transom and a bow ladder that hooks on the pulpit. They work great Med-moored or in a slip. The passerelle can drop down over the swim steps to provide a very sturdy ladder at anchor.

They still don't meet the need you describe. Getting on and off the boat amidships is the most stable place. We use a Dan step-fender there which meets our current needs but I'm sure not yours.

I agree with the note above to explore carbon fiber. The side gangways I've seen have all been custom or semi-custom.

That doesn't look all that easy to deploy or retrieve. Then, what do you do with it underway?
They fold flat and hinge up against the lifelines.

#14 ·
I did not mean to offend you. My point was that I understood that a passarelle did not meet your needs.
I haven't shopped the carbon fiber stuff. I've lifted them and they are wonderfully light and quite strong. I simply haven't looked at the prices.
The gangway idea is a great one, especially as we have both noted it folds up against the lifelines.
Actually, no offense was taken, sorry if I gave that impression. Got a quote today for an alloy one from MarQuipt; us$7500.00 plus freight, so I'm guessing the carbon ones are even more dear than I'd thought. OUCH! We are getting a local quote this week (Nick's got Chikungunya, so he needs a couple of days) and will also explore having one built in Trini. It would be great if we could find a half dozen boats that wanted one, and bring them in around us$1500.00 for a simple one without folding stairs. We are thinking along Capt Len's idea of a commercial ladder or even using our swim ladder (we have a very nice one) steps to lower the cost.
Time to buy a lottery ticket, right?

#16 ·
Got a quote today for an alloy one from MarQuipt; us$7500.00 plus freight, so I'm guessing the carbon ones are even more dear than I'd thought. OUCH!
Ouch indeed. Carbon fiber is becoming more mainstream. It's possible the price difference will outweigh the shipping cost difference. Annapolis Boat Show is just a month away and I'll be there working on a couple of boats. I'll poke around and see what I can learn. That may be longer than you have in mind but it can't hurt. Has anyone else expressed and credible interest in getting one also?

#10 ·
Well thank you so much for your helpful and useful contribution. It is so nice to see that there are folks out there who go so far out of their way to help a fellow mariner in need. Thanks again for the helpful post.

#12 ·
Maybe a commercial alloy grade step ladder could be rearranged. A nice wood platform at water . Hinged to legs of steps with big dia alloy pipe segments running pivot for snug pipe shaft secured to bottom of legs. Bolts better than welding ?? Maybe don't need platform at top but could be same.Would need some kind of bracing anyway to take outside weight. But it's narrower at the top The usual wire supports and padding. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.