SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Barquito, I have sailed my C22 into and out of a slip with the keel up and have found that the sideslip is minimal in light air. In heavier air (>15 knots), it can be a problem if the wind is abeam or forward. I have not tried it on a mooring.

The first time I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that even with the keel up, there was some 'bite' of the keel in the water. It was nothing like the sideslip you get in a dinghy with the board up.:eek:

As suggested above, recommend you practice on a makeshift mooring in a clear space. Let us know how it works out.:)

Pat

·
Registered
295 Posts
Barquito, thanks for reporting back on your experiment. I guess it just comes down to trying it out and seeing how your boat reacts. Sometimes when I am sailing off the anchor, coming into a slip, etc. I leave the keel down part way, to get a little more bite and still avoid the weeds. It can work if the weeds are deep enough. All depends on wind and how much space you have. Glad to see it worked out for you without a damage report.:eek:

Pat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.