SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Barquito
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mooring has horrible weed growth in the summer. I have had trouble with fouling of the keel raising cable on my Catalina 22 with weeds. Lately, I have just raised the keel and motored in. I would rather leave and return under sail. My question is, will there be a lot more sideslip with the keel up? On the C-22 when the keel us up almost all of it is still exposed to the water. It is just horizontal rather than vertical.

Attachments

·
Barquito
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought about the fact that most of the lift from the keel is generated by the leading edge. With the keel up, there is almost no leading edge! Looking at the line drawing, it does look like I loose a fair amound of keel area when it is up. In the spring (when the weeds haven't started to grow) I sail on and off the pin. However, the mooring field is tight. Is it normal to have mooring pins set such that the swing of the boats cross each other? (no current, wind would have to be zero, or changing 180 for boats to touch)

·
Barquito
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I did go out and experiment with keel up and down. I anchored a fender a ways out and sailed off and back with the keel up and down. In the light winds that day I could see there was more sideslip with the keel up. I could, however, still make headway. I guess it remains an option.

As an aside: Previously I had had trouble controlling which way my bow fell off as I sailed off the pin. I kept thinking I would get reverse steerage before it falls off... that never happens! Now I just make sure the boat is swinging in the direction I want it to go, then start easing the anchor/mooring rode out and confirm that the boat is continuing to swing in that direction before I release the line. With the tiller hard-over, I can almost get beam-to before I release the line. (one of those 'well duh' moments)

·
Barquito
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When singlehanding I usually step into the cabin and crank the keel down quickly while the boat sails itself. I do notice that it starts to head up more as the keel goes down (CLR moves forward, CE pretty far back due to only having main up).

I will try raising the keel a little if weather helm builds up. That is a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.