SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm kind of new to these forums, so I hope I'm not duplicating some one else here.

I have an Allmand 31 with a Signet SL 172 depth sounder. The display is pretty much shot and I was wondering if any one knows if I can use the transducer with any other depth sounders. I think it uses 200kz, but it has a phono type plug that plugs into the display unit.

My other option would be to replace the LCD and face button with new parts from Signet, but I wasn't sure that would be the best option considering the advances in technology.

Thanks for any help.

·
19,488 Posts
On the Signet sounder the display is a plug-in module easily replaced - and they will happily sell you one for around $60. The same series of knotmeters requires the display to be soldered in - a lot more difficult.

We have the same line on our boat, find the sounder a bit limited not getting reliable numbers over about 150 feet - but I'm not really interested in anchoring anywhere that deep, and if it's at least that deep I don't figure I'm at risk of an accidental grounding.... so do I really need a sounder that goes to 1000 feet??? probably not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information everyone.

I think I'm going to call Signet and see what kind of suggestions they might have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have the Signet 172 Depth system. Its switching between meters and feet. sometimes not working at all. Anyway I found a document that does confirm the 172 used a 200 khz transducer with a 18º beam. Power consumption of 250 mA @ 12 V.D.C.

Since its a 200khz transducer it should be possible to replace the display with a st60 type of display from raymarine.

This PDF has great info on Signet specifications
http://www.signetmarine.com/PDFS/SMARTPAKall.pdf

Here is a great guide for wiring up an old transducer to new Raymarine display
New Depth Sounder With An Old Transducer Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
That guy also has some other useful guides worth checking.

I bought a tridata display yesterday on ebay for 300. cant wait to try it all out. now I just have to figure out if i can connect the old signet knotducer to it.

I actually have two depth transducers on my boat. one is a through hull and the other a glue one one. The worst part is the previous owner glued it behind the keel. so its probably also angled back a little. no heads up with it. I hope when i connect the front one it will work.

·
19,488 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts