SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...Ive been trying to get a hold of some butyl tape and shipping down here is a bit expensive for the good stuff maine sail sells...unfortunately we still have to pay customs fees and "bribes" every once and again and simly put I need to buy a sealant thats elastic and not like 5200 to rebed and seal my portlights/windows on my islander 36

they are the flush type

and I have found this used for construction:

SIKA FLEX 1A 20OZ BLANCO 0.70KG

it says it cures with wet environments, and can even be used to seal tanks and stuff in architectural scenarios

it also says it retains 25% elasticity ´per width of bedding size...

this sounds perfect and it comes in ivory white...

and its also a great price!

any thoughts?

copacabana?

thanks

christian

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like the 1a is the way to go, a guy used it on his chris craft to caulk decks! Im sold!

and its $10 down here!

screw satans glue! jajajaja

peace

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Christian, that's not the Sika butyl I was thinking of. I'll find it for you and post the link.
yes I know, its just that I havent sourced it yet...Imtrying as we speak...but I saw the 1a and it looks great

I will keep trying to locate the sika LASTOMER...:)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are your port lights bolted in place or just held with the sealant? If they are bolted, butyl is great stuff. If they are held in place with the sealant then you have to use something that is also an adhesive. I think Sika 295UV is the right stuff in this case.
they are held in place, and some "smart" previous owner or worker decided screws would make it better...NOT:(

plastic frame, 3 lipped rubber gasket, and sealant...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I printed the page out so I can show the guys...wish me luck!

thanks so much copacabana

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btw I guess that the new sailnet owners like adds?

man every other post is an add...

yikes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Christian,
I was a union carpenter most of my working life so I did a lot of industrial/commercial work and sikaflex butyl caulk was the best caulking I ran into. In the rain, when everything was wet, it still worked great. Best stuff I found. Good luck.

Jim.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell

I was the salvadorean national sailing team coach for a while...

then I had my small motrcycle mechanic "shop" for old school hondas and offroad bikes...

then I got married, then I opened a restaurant(thats my other job)

then I had a kid 3 months ago...

and now Im trying to finsih BOUNTY jajajaja the islander 36 that could

et al

so yeah finding stuff for boats is hard but can be done, it just takes time you know...

there is a marine store you know, its called marinsa...but all they know is outboards and fishing...they wanted to sell me a small tybe of boat life for $34!!! so I sadi NO

there are maybe 3 salvadoreans with big sailboats down here at the most...so obviously having stuff stocked is an impossibilty...

cheers dudes

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update:

I couldnt find the butyl tape yet but I bought a couple of the 1A sika and it looks great so Ill try it out on my panel fix too

best yet it was only $7.45 a cartridge! hell yeah!

ps. lots of construction going on down here...guess thats why as its 11 up in the states

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Christian, its not a bad time to be an Xpat.
Thinking outside the box at times, my Atomic 4 is being replaced with a 7.2 kw electric motor. If I didn't have a Vdrive, an air cooled diesel may have been an alternative.:rolleyes:
JA!!! yeah I hear ya

im a dual citizen...my dad was from the US my mom is salvadorean and I was born in spain...

I second your comment but I may add that its nice to have option b, c and d and beyond cause you never know these days what will happen
:)
so............................ I put an add for an atomic 4 in the classifieds(have a looksie) since this would be my easiest replacement option however there is the issue of shipping...

damn...know any freighters coming this way?

I would love to learn about your inboard swap...as I am a fan of electric and plan to eventually install an electric inboard in the 10kw size aprox. Dont know what happened to MOST of my electric islander 36 inboard thread...maybe som mod had fun chopping away? jajaja

thanks bud

take care!

christian

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Christian, its not a bad time to be an Xpat.
Thinking outside the box at times, my Atomic 4 is being replaced with a 7.2 kw electric motor. If I didn't have a Vdrive, an air cooled diesel may have been an alternative.:rolleyes:
Im trying to get a hold of a diesel just like this used down here for irrigation pumps and stuff...but then I would need to adapt a tranny, centrifugal clurtch style and then even maybe find a way of adding reverse or even getting a hold of a small go kart style transmission BUT it gets expensive when shipping is involved and customs so my cheapest options is finding an atomic 4 in central america or buying an outboard...:D

finding an electric motor from a forklift or whatever was a no go down here

bummer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.