SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sikaflex Marine 291 and Sikaflex Construction Sealant

Both are polyurethane sealants with basically the same properties. One is marine, the other is not.
I have used the 291 many times, but by looking at MSDS and Technical DS for both products, I don't see much that would prevent me from using the construction sealant on my boat.
Does anyone know have the experience with the Construction Sealant?
The reason? One costs $6/tube the other is $30.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
dude I just used a boatload of the cheaper stuff the 1a and its easier and better to use than the 291

the 1a stuff I even posted a thread a while back got a lot fo rave reviews from us sailors and I used it from bedding stuff, sealing norsemans, chainplates decks, etc...

its easy to use...well see how long it lasts

you can see pics of the stuff and me using it in various projects on my islander 36 project thread

·
Registered
337 Posts
it is the same story as always:

nearly the same thing is avialable for a fraction of the price of the marine variant. Why not ...

Sometimes this works fine, go for the cheaper product.
But then, what's the worth of your work?

Using constrution embedding, which might differ in some qualities, how fun is that when you have to re-emebedd your whatever after 5 years? When usual marine grade last 10 or 20 years?

I have been there, have done that, and will not do it again. My time is exteremly valuable. The few weekens and the too short vacation - I do not want to spend that time on repairs.

Will not save on sealants, paints, ... and so on. Happy to save on other things, easy excangeable.

/J

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
5200(ad other "marine" sealans do not last 20 years,) maybe bedding deck seam joints but for sure not for daily bedding and sealing stuff

example windows

while your comment is true for many things...it doesnt mean you cant use other sealants for example for boat projects...

for example and this is just me playing devils advocate

chainplates that go through the deck

of what use is it for the sealant to last 20 years if the chainplate itself SHOULD be pulled and inspected every 5 to 10 years especially if cruising?

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
it is the same story as always:

nearly the same thing is avialable for a fraction of the price of the marine variant. Why not ...

Sometimes this works fine, go for the cheaper product.
But then, what's the worth of your work?

Using constrution embedding, which might differ in some qualities, how fun is that when you have to re-emebedd your whatever after 5 years? When usual marine grade last 10 or 20 years?

I have been there, have done that, and will not do it again. My time is exteremly valuable. The few weekens and the too short vacation - I do not want to spend that time on repairs.

Will not save on sealants, paints, ... and so on. Happy to save on other things, easy excangeable.

/J
The intention is not to use the construction one just for the sake of savings, but to avoid being charged for marine prices simply because of the label.

Case in point are the batteries WM sells. The same thing can be had at Walmart for a fraction of the price.

I don't like to pay marine prices just because the label says M A R I N E.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude I just used a boatload of the cheaper stuff the 1a and its easier and better to use than the 291

the 1a stuff I even posted a thread a while back got a lot fo rave reviews from us sailors and I used it from bedding stuff, sealing norsemans, chainplates decks, etc...

its easy to use...well see how long it lasts

you can see pics of the stuff and me using it in various projects on my islander 36 project thread
Thanks Christian. Thing is up here the construction one is the one available at the large stores, so I'll try one to check it. I used a lot of 291 on my previous boat but now they have priced this out of my reach.
I am using Maine Sail butyl, but for some stuff where you cannot "keep on tightening" I use Sika. Nothing structural, just some deck fittings.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I liked it a lot...the 291 or the other black sika was very shuny and slippery and it was harder to bed stuff with

I actually preffered the odorless tacky 1a sealant...it was very nice to use with the norsemans, and bedding the chainplates well the deck plates that is...

we also used it to bed all the stanchions, and it feels nice and firm yet pliable

its flexible and one if the good things I read on the spreadsheet sika produces was learning how fleixble it remains after setting...something that 5200 sucks at after cured

5200 has its uses though

for example we rebedd our toerails with it...since its so strong...thats one job I dont plan on ever doing again on the boat...

kind of like rebedding a keel

each tool has its job

for now I cannot reccomend the sika 1a stuff enough

its odorless and is not the acetic silicone stuff so for sealing up terminals, or for use with stainless it wont do damage...

norseman and others emphasize this now on their instructions for example since people were using bathtub silicones and sealants back then...which is worse than using nothing

anywhoo good luck

try it out on some simpe fittings...you might be pleasantly surprised

for my case it was the same almost out of necessity...boat life is 36 for the tube, and 5200 was almost 40

sika was 7 something down here

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just a hedzup..

Was in my local Lowe's last week for other caulk and saw they carried two types of 5200; $11.95 and. $12.95 respectively for regular and quick-set.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeoup
fast cure its called

used it on my keel last haulout

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Sikaflex Marine 291 and Sikaflex Construction Sealant

Both are polyurethane sealants with basically the same properties. One is marine, the other is not.
I have used the 291 many times, but by looking at MSDS and Technical DS for both products, I don't see much that would prevent me from using the construction sealant on my boat.
Does anyone know have the experience with the Construction Sealant?
The reason? One costs $6/tube the other is $30.
Way too high. In Victoria we sell marine 291 and 291Lot for 10.95. In a marine store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts