SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I´m new in here.
Have have some doubts about the clinometers on the boats, specifically the cliinometer 131 from Silva Swden.

1.-How do you read in a double scale clinometer?
2.-Do somebody know where can I buy this clinometer in the USA?

I really would appreciate your help

Attachments

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
the top scale is the first 5 degrees and the lower scale is from 5 degrees to 35 degrees in 5 degree increments

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
They are simple devices, no need to have doubts about them. They can be useful for sail trim and taking notes to find the fastest points of sail for racing. The top scale gives you more accurate view of the first five degrees of heel though that is really not where most of the concern is, so unless you are on a catamaran I would not worry about the top scale much. It is more in the range of 10 to 30 to 45 (OH NO I think we are going over!) that they are really helpful. Most boats sail faster at relatively low heel, say less than 15 degrees, while others can really take advantage of more.

I would not really worry about what brand you get, any of them will be accurate enough. Thing is when heeled over your boat will be in motion so any of them will be bouncing around a bit and absolute accuracy is really not important at all (I doubt you will be able to tell a difference between 12 and 13 degrees). But

Any marine chandelier will have one, but not necessarily Silva branded. Also West Marine and Defender as well as any other full sized online distributor. Here are three under $20

http://search.defender.com/?expression=Clinometer&x=0&y=0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts