SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that was nice. Just had a call from Simon. He's currently off the NSW coast just south of Newcastle heading back up north to Queensland after spending the cyclone season down in Jervis Bay.

He must like those long hauls. Qld to Jervis B he did in one hop and he's now planning to go non stop back up north. He put Goodonya onto an offshore tack to have a sleep but ended up in the East Australian Current which slowed him way down but he's back inshore again now and making good time although he reports the seas are a bit all over the place. Thats not uncommon in that area so he might be in for an uncomfortable night.

Sounds in exceptionally good spirits, as he should be given what he is doing.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the Simon update. He's certainly racking up the miles on s/v Goodonya. :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
We need to give that guy some kind of award. :) Maybe we should start a log of "annual miles sailed" with a prize at the end of each year.

Of course, the calendar year cut-off favors northern hemisphere sailors, but the real voyagers spend much of their time in the tropics anyway, and they'll take the top prize regardless.

That does sound like a long solo slog! Hang in there Simon.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
What is it with these Aussies? Don't they know that you can watch people sailing in all sorts of conditions on Youtube? It's no longer necessary to actually make a passage...

Ar, ar, ar... Thanks Cap'n Wom, and a big way to go for Cap'n Simon!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
He must been pretty experienced to single-hand through the Barrier Reef, which I assume is what "inshore" means in this case. Does he anchor at night, or are there spots with enough room to hove to?

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He must been pretty experienced to single-hand through the Barrier Reef, which I assume is what "inshore" means in this case. Does he anchor at night, or are there spots with enough room to hove to?

Misread on your part V, or a mistype on mine. When I said inshore I meant hugging the coast. Simon is a long way south of the reef at the moment and in fact his destination is Moreton Bay which is still someways short of the reef.

the East Coast current runs south down the NSW coast often only a few miles off shore. Varies of course but five knots is not unusual. Simon mentioned to me that when he woke up and was in the current he was doing 7 knots boatspeed but only 2.5 over the ground.

cheers

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
the East Coast current runs south down the NSW coast often only a few miles off shore. Varies of course but five knots is not unusual. Simon mentioned to me that when he woke up and was in the current he was doing 7 knots boatspeed but only 2.5 over the ground.
A feller could run outta beer at that rate...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
He should stop somewhere for a while, meet some people, make some friends. Then he won't have to carry on sailing alone.:D

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A feller could run outta beer at that rate...
Ha...he'd defintely stop somewhere if that was the case....

Omatako......he met a whole bunch of people he likes when he up was up north last year so I reckon he's headed on back to meet up again.

I reckon Simon just loves being out there.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Misread on your part V, or a mistype on mine. When I said inshore I meant hugging the coast. Simon is a long way south of the reef at the moment and in fact his destination is Moreton Bay which is still someways short of the reef.

cheers
Oh, good...well, my knowledge of where Queensland and the reef starts is perhaps not what it could be. I've just finished a book by a New Zealander in a 28 footer called "Passage to Torres Strait" Amazon.com: Passage to Torres Strait: Four Centuries in the Wake of Great Navigators Mutineers Castaways and Beachcombers: Miles Hordern: Books

and part of that reiterates that the GBR was and remains a very hard patch of water to cross for single-handers, even with the current nav gear.

As for that current, thanks to the Finding Nemo movie, even my seven year old knows how fast that flows.:D

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Starting in the middle of a book...

10 posts and I am not sure what you loopers [as in the loop] are sharing. It sounds interesting. Who is Simon, whats he doing, whats his boat, where do I start? I know my boat being on the long, dark, cold, winter ground makes me yearn for warm water adventure...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Joe—

We're talking about SimonV, who flew to the left coast of the US and bought an Ericson 39b, and sailed it single-handed back down to Oz, and then has been slowly sailing around Oz by the looks of things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts