SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,447 Posts
According to Garmin tech reps I can interface the WP32 to my Garmin 441s so chances are you can connect your 400.

Sorry but I haven't done the project yet. There's just not a lot of need where we sail.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It looks like the Garmin doesn't have NMEA 2000, so you'll have to go down the NMEA 0183 route. If nothing is connected to the GPSs 0183 interface you can connect directly. To connect multiple devices with NMEA 0183 you'll need a multiplexer.

·
2,447 Posts
Mark's right, the 440 is NMEA 0183 only.

Your post got me thinking and I went back and read through the WP32 manual. I always assumed I'd have to do a separate 0183 run from the WP32 junction box to my plotter and that I'd only have directional input.

It turns out that Simrad now makes an adapter that can connect the Simnet output from the junction box to a NMEA2000 network (they share similar architecture).

With the Simnet to NMEA2000 adapter the wheel pilot will be able to steer to the wind using wind direction, speed and GPS data from the NMEA2000 network. This adapter wasn't available a couple of years ago when I first installed NMEA2000 on my boat.

I realize this doesn't help the OP who has a Garmin 440 but it's good news for anyone with a NMEA2000 compatible plotter who finds this thread.

Guess I've got one more cable to fish when I install the new remote mic at the helm this spring. :D

Jim

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have a Simnet network connected into the NMEA 2000 one. The Simnet is connected as a drop from the NMEA 2000 backbone, using an NMEA 2000 to Simnet cable. It's not quite to code, as it were, but it works.

I have a Simrad wind instrument, which uses the data on the network to calculate true wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.