SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing what seemed to be quite a few fresh mugs around lately...I started wondering...

See, I'm one of those goofballs that likes numbers. And, I must say, the numbers look pretty good for Sailnet membership of late. "Trending nicely" is the term I think.

Here's what I found...

For 2009:
New members from 01/01 to 06/01: 4923 (Not bad - but down from '08)
Members with at least 1 post from 01/01 to 06/01: 1550 +/-
31% participation (up significantly from '08 - that's cool)

New members from 06/01 to Present: 3029!! (Sweet! Not even 3 months!)
Members with at least 1 post from 06/01 to Present: 980 +/-
32% participation (definitely sweet! more loudmouth sailors!)

Compared to 2008:
New members from 01/01 to 06/01: 5229
Members with at least 1 post from 01/01 to 06/01: 1220 +/-
23% participation

New members from 06/01 to 09/01: 2741
Members with at least 1 post from 06/01 to Present: 920 +/-
33% participation

++++++++++++

Not a bad trend in the last few months, eh? Starting to get back toward the numbers of 2006/7 with far better participation! Of course, I'm not going to dig any further than that. I'm too damn lazy. But...

CD, you must be doing something right!

Keep on rockin' Sailnet!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Interesting figures, Smacky! Looks like quite an effort pulling those stats together. Trouble sleeping?:laugher :laugher

Seriously, I'm surprised at the number of new members since June. Where are they all? It saddens me a little when I see enthusiastic posts from newbs and see how excited they are to be getting into sailing, only to see them fall off the grid, never to be heard from again.:( I just hope some of them are out there getting some BFSailing done so they can come back here and share the fun.:eek:

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
The part that disturbs me most is that most of the time there are between 75 and 120 people viewing the threads in the main forums, but the posts stay on the first page for days. (Sometimes with only a couple of replies) Do most of these lurkers know everything about sailing? or are they afraid they will sound stupid if they ask a question?

Dave

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, my personal opinion is the latter. I can float plenty of past threads that have given newbs that impression.

Hopefully that will change.

I'd love to hear from any long-time lurkers as to what they'd recommend for making it more inviting to join up and join in.

I mean this IS the coolest damn forum on the planet. In my opinion, it's got the edginess/freedom that CF doesn't, but isn't a complete whackfest like SA. It's the perfect middle ground. No reason it shouldn't grow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
answer from a lurker

SmackDaddy,

I can only speak for myself. I got real serious about purchasing a sailboat a couple of months ago. I found a lot of great information from this site. Two weeks ago I put a down payment on a Catalina 25 on Lake Erie (2+ hours from home). Tomorrow we meet to do all the title work, etc.

Being a newbie to sailing, I am trying to soak up all the "theory" I can. These include books, forums, articles, etc. I am not going to have many weekends free this fall to sail, so I could not justify the slip rental for a weekend or two of learning. Thus I am waiting until the Spring. This gives me time to attend a Power Squadron course and more "sponge" work.

Once I finally do hit the water, I'm sure that's when seek help!

Well, that's my excuse for lurking

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey tyz - welcome to SN dude! And CONGRATS ON THE C25! Sweet!!

I sail a C27...poorly. You're going to love your boat.

Sailnet is a great place to hang out. Some tremendous sailors here that are extremely helpful and patient - and cool. You'll find a lot of them in the "Seamanship" forum. Ask them anything you want.

And actually, you'll find yourself here A LOT when the weather gets cold. The place becomes a really fun "pub" during winter. It's a blast.

Welcome - and thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hey tyz - welcome to SN dude! And CONGRATS ON THE C25! Sweet!!

I sail a C27...poorly. You're going to love your boat.

Sailnet is a great place to hang out. Some tremendous sailors here that are extremely helpful and patient - and cool. You'll find a lot of them in the "Seamanship" forum. Ask them anything you want.

And actually, you'll find yourself here A LOT when the weather gets cold. The place becomes a really fun "pub" during winter. It's a blast.

Welcome - and thanks for the feedback.
I always new you were a cruncher! And yep - about time for the land-locked participants to go full swing under TWI rules..

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Jody!!! Sup dude?

How is the restore/refit going? Are you getting closer to the big shove?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey the increase in numbers have nothing to do with me. Haven't you noticed TDW has been gone!? Some people are afraid of rodents! HEHE!

I am glad things are growing. THe forum is what the members make it. It certainly has nothing to do with me.

Thanks.

- CD

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Smack

End of Sept - making great progress on the sales of my "stuff", my current strategy works well so I think 4 more weeks.. then I go full time, with my Airstream as a back-up in case it (doing full time in PNW) doesn't work as expected.

CD is the icon to moderation as Paris Hilton is to sex tapes - that is why we come back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Smack,

Interesting numbers. Good to see this place thriving. Here's my 2 cents:
I've kinda turned into a lurker because I drop in on the site less regularly. I don't like to jump into a conversation if I'm not going to be around to reply. For me, it has nothing to do with fear of sounding stupid (I got that out of the way early on). But life seems to be calming down, so maybe I'll be around a little more. So maybe that's why some people don't post. They're not around enough to really participate.

CD, don't sell yourself short. All the moderators here do an excellent job. It's pretty clear from visiting other forums, and never going back, that poor moderation is a real drag.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,285 Posts
I believe allot of the increase has to do with people searching BBQ and grilling and somehow they end up here??? Hehehe

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I believe allot of the increase has to do with people searching BBQ and grilling and somehow they end up here??? Hehehe
And certainly my chef friend doesn't have a problem with that!!! And if you need any more culinary tips, let me know (snicker)!!

- CD

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Smack,

Interesting numbers. Good to see this place thriving. Here's my 2 cents:
I've kinda turned into a lurker because I drop in on the site less regularly. I don't like to jump into a conversation if I'm not going to be around to reply. For me, it has nothing to do with fear of sounding stupid (I got that out of the way early on). But life seems to be calming down, so maybe I'll be around a little more. So maybe that's why some people don't post. They're not around enough to really participate.

CD, don't sell yourself short. All the moderators here do an excellent job. It's pretty clear from visiting other forums, and never going back, that poor moderation is a real drag.
Hey farm - great to see you around. I think maybe you're right about members not being around all the time. When you look at the typical online member numbers, they're relatively "low", maybe 60-90 at any one time.

This seems to be the same on other forums too, but to me it's a lot more fun when newbs are joining up and asking questions. I think it draws more members in to participate...and it gets a lot more fun.

It's a hell of a lot better than having more members than guests. Then it just becomes same-old, same-old.

And +1 on the moderation.

Hope to see you around more (unless you're out sailing). Do you have any pics of you sailing your boat? And didn't you do a lot of rebuild on that thing?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey farm - great to see you around. I think maybe you're right about members not being around all the time. When you look at the typical online member numbers, they're relatively "low", maybe 60-90 at any one time.

This seems to be the same on other forums too, but to me it's a lot more fun when newbs are joining up and asking questions. I think it draws more members in to participate...and it gets a lot more fun.

It's a hell of a lot better than having more members than guests. Then it just becomes same-old, same-old.

And +1 on the moderation.

Hope to see you around more (unless you're out sailing). Do you have any pics of you sailing your boat? And didn't you do a lot of rebuild on that thing?
Unfortunately, there are no new pics because the boat is still in the barn. My girl and I moved into a 100+ year old house that needs a whole load of work. We started to get the house under control, and then I got pneumonia. Knocked me right on may ass. At that point, we had to admit that the boat was not going in this year. But its all good. A good friend of ours just bought a boat, and we've been out 4 times in the last 2 weeks. We're going to sail regularly for the rest of the season, and then make sure our boat is ready for launch next year.

The upgrades of the boat continue. We've done a lot of fairing (the PO didn't know the difference between an orbital sander and a grinder) and we've painted topsides and bottom. The standing rigging has all been replaced, and I've got some new running rigging to install. Still trying to figure out the final details of the deck layout. Major structural work is still ahead of us in replacing the stringers and keel bolt brackets.

Anyway, good to hear from ya, smack. I'll try to poke around here from time to time.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No worries Farm. Pneumonia? Jeez! I'm just glad you're back amongst the living, dude!

It's good to see you back. Check in when you can. I bet you have a lot of great advice to give newbies on boat work...and fixing up 100 year old houses!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
720+ active users? Yep - this place is HOPPIN'!

PS - Drinks are on CD.

·
Registered
295 Posts
720+ active users? Yep - this place is HOPPIN'!

PS - Drinks are on CD.
Make mine a double!! Neat.:D

I can relate to what Tyz said. Even now, I will spend more time lurking than participating. If I have a question about something, I try to find answers in the archives so I won't have to plow up old ground already covered.

One thing that I try to do, however, is to welcome newbs to the party. I remember feeling a little timid when I first logged on, so I want new members to feel welcome. I hate seeing an intro that has gone several hours or even days without a reply from one of us.:(

Smacky, you are always really good at welcoming the newcomers. And CD, I appreciate your moderating. I'm sure it's not always a lot of fun, and you have important demands on your time as a dad. Thanks to both of you for making SN a great place to hang out.:thewave:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Whilst it is sometimes a little irritating going over the same stuff again and again, there are some things that one shouldn't go too far back into the archives for.

Times change, technologies move on and what was valid a year ago isn't necessarily so today.

Ask away guys, there is always someone with a willing opinion and everyone gets to learn something.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts