SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I didn't feel any vibration in the tiller handle. Just in my feet. Now the keel is pitted so it could be that the keel is pitted heavier on one side than the other.
Huh. Maybe it is the keel. If there’s slack between the keel and the keel pin I suppose the turbulence could cause it to vibrate.

But I think your keel is like mine, > 500 lbs. Hard to imagine a big heavy lunk like that vibrating much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Hobie 16 rudder used to hum at a certain speed, the fix was to reshape trailing edge to reduce the turbulence (used the V in a pair of scissors to scrape them into a more pointy shape as per the hobie cat forum consensus). No hum after that.
My Haines Tramp centreboard sometimes hums also so I have faired all the chips, dings and gouges that were in it. Especially the leading edge at the tip from hitting the bottom, yet to see how that goes.
As to the rudder pin, I use washers between the guedgeon and the guedgeon pin retaining clip to stop any vertical movement.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Huh. Maybe it is the keel. If there’s slack between the keel and the keel pin I suppose the turbulence could cause it to vibrate.

But I think your keel is like mine, > 500 lbs. Hard to imagine a big heavy lunk like that vibrating much.
Yup,~500lb keel. I don't know what could have caused it. Weather's been bad so I can't get my boat out and I've not had a chance to do much work. I got a new 4-pin deck plug and wired it but that's about it. If weather cooperates then this weekend I'll try to set up my new boom vang and see about installing the deck organizer system I'll be using to route my halyards to the cockpit. If nothing else I'll finish my mast raising system.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts