SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a single-lever, dual-action, side-mounted, flush-mounted (cables attach behind the lever on the opposite side of the surface to which the controls are mounted) control for a 1987 Johnson 8HP Sailmaster on a 26' Pearson? My old one seized. I removed it, and it was mounted on/through a 2" diameter circular hole. I've found a couple that LOOK like they'd work, but can't find enough information about the mountings.

Uflex B85
Vetus SISCO or SICO
Teleflex CH2100P

The Teleflex is described as a "Surface Mount" which makes it sound as if the cables would be exposed in the cockpit, and I don't want to do that. Is that the case? I can't find any mounting info on the other ones. It'd be GREAT to find one that mounts in the same 2" hole, but that may be a pipe dream...

Anyone have any experience with any of these, or able to make other recommendations?

Thanks..

Barry

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
Can you repair the old one? Spinlock does make a "hidden" unit. Requires a separate starter switch if electric start. I believe it uses standard Morse cables, so you might need adapters at the OB end.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I did pull the old one and completely disassembled it. The jam was caused by one of the spring-loaded balls that create the "detent" locations in the travel of the shifter arm becoming dislodged and wedged in between part of the internal mechanism. I could have repaired it, but it had never fit properly anyway; it couldn't be tightened down enough to fit firmly to the mounting surface, so it always rattled and felt lousy. Rather than screw around adding a thickening/backing plate and rebuilding what was already a pretty lousy unit, I went ahead and bought the Uflex B85. It required a 3" mounting hole, but there was plenty of room to do that. It works WONDERFULLY, and the situation is solved.

Thanks again,

Barry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts