SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
What also would matter would be that my wife and I would be the only ones aboard. But, I hear you and I do understand that most boats of the same length would offer more room. Still, I think it's worth the trade, for all that elegance!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My daughter is a senior in H.S. and my son just started. That means only 4 years left of having to live in the high-rent (good school) district. Which leads me to my next address: boat.

I have a good bit of sailing experience (though admittedly I am a bit rusty). I sailed before I walked, cruised New England each summer on my parents' boats (Allied Luders 33 sloop and Frank Kinney Pipe Dream 37 sloop) and did the whole dinghy racing curcuit thing on Blue Jays, Fire Balls, Lightnings, etc.

That was then This is now: I haven't sailed in the past ten or so years and never really had experience skippering or maintaining a larger boat. I am currently taking Power Squadron courses to get beck into the swing of things, brush up pn navigation and learn about boat systems and am researching which boats would make good coastal and possibly off-shore cruisers.

Here are some of my requirements:
-I have to be able to single hand it.
-I don't have a ton of money to spend.
-I want a good, solid boat that can see me through a storm.

Here are some boats I am considering:
Allied Luders 33
Niagara 35
Rival 34
Sabre 34
Wauquiez Pretorian 35
Dickerson 37

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions?

-Susan
Susan,
These are all good boats for the purpose described. Personally I would have the Niagara and Sabre and also Tartan at the top of the list. The budget is the big question.
Boats featured with means for short handed crew (for example, in mast/boom main furler) cost more. A well (proven) maintained boat of these models may cost twice or more of the average in size and age. While I bought over the years good core boats and few also with known long term neglect in maintenance - at an attractive price, I learned again and again that a serious outfitting can easily cost even more than getting the best equipped and maintained boat available.
Guess you want to mostly sail and enjoy the boat and minimise the project involved - the realistic budget is the key.

·
Registered
24,047 Posts
Calm, that post was from over a decade ago and there is something very odd about that screen name. I’d never seen it before the software conversation a year or two back and I posted in this thread back then. It’s also the screen name that has a bunch of automated news feeds. No idea who we are theoretically replying to.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.