SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Singlehanded LA to Kaua'i and Return--30 Minute Video

Twenty days out and 28 back on an Ericson 32-3.

https://vimeo.com/108545352
Thanks for sharing, that was really nice. Could I ask about your cameras? I assume there were several different ones as the perspective seemed to change. Also, how did you rig the underwater footage from below (in the calm). Very cool!

Looked like fabulous weather except for the hurricane scare.

Steve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Canon HV40s as the main camera. They use miniDV tape and are essentially obsolete, but the quality is very good and the editing easy and you always have the tape as a backup. I use a "wide angle lens" ( Canon Wide-converter WD-H43, 43 mm base) most of the time, as it really makes a difference in the confines of a boat by widening the view.

Like everyone else, I also have a couple of GoPros. For the underwater shot, I just lowered the camera on a string down about 75 feet. I made a "platform" using a claw hammer and duct tape. What else to do when becalmed?

The wide angle, fixed-focus lens of the GoPro, attached to a stick, often makes the stick invisible. They have really changed the world.

You could easily video yourself doing your own appendectomy if the spirit moved you, and somebody probably already has.

A new GoPro, without a lot of mounts and brackets, is $200. Truly amazing.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Singlehanded LA to Kaua'i and Return--30 Minute Video

Thanks for sharing!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Fantastic video... that trip is on a bucket list for me... but at the rate I'm going I'll never do.

But your style of narration, and your lighthearted approach to it all, kept me captivated. I enjoyed it very thoroughly.. what a great trip!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I simply don't have enough thumbs to rate your video... I'd need at least another couple pairs. Call it "Six Thumbs Up." Loved your attitude, calmness, appreciation of others, skills, confidence...and the soundtrack. I was a little disappointed that you gave away the performers in the credits.. <grin>.. I was hoping I could get'em all by ear. I'm a jazz pianist; I confess I thought the McPartland cut was Nat King Cole (an excellent pianist, although of course much better known as a singer); his spare, light, lyrical yet solid swinging style sounded about right. Marian's voicings are usually a little fuller.... nice track! The Gipsy Kings are one of my "guilty pleasures," too.

Amazing experience just SEEING your video. I can't imagine living it, although it's on the list. Right now, I'm just getting my feet wet. We'll see... :)

Thanks so much.

Barry

Reactions: fryewe

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hmmm. The McPartland track came from a recording I made of the Pandora channel "Marian McPartland." I was reduced to guessing it was she. But you're right, it's really not quite her style, or at least not identifiably so. Your ear may well be right.

I had twenty hours of jazz recorded through my computer from Pandora, so as not to go crazy listening only to 20 gigabites of Monk. I did think twice about whether that was fair, and concluded that since I paid for my Pandora subscription, and it permits unlimited listening, that I could could listen unlimitedly in any format I chose.

So, good catch. [Actually, the YouTube royalties algorithim later did identify the track as a McPartland perf]

And thanks all, for the kind comments. It somewhat reduces the lingering pain of having to edit 13 hours of video down to 30 minutes.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Great video, really makes you want to go out there and do it! So were you tempted to just keep going?

·
Registered
16 Posts
gotta teach me the dance moves on a pitching deck. Excellent vid.
Will see ya if you're around after jan 15.
I am the yankee 30 that was next to you in pier 44

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Excellent!
Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That was absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing.

My tears started when the Manoa set off your alarm (I'm from Manoa on Oahu). Then you made Kauai - sigh.

Wow wow wow.

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Really enjoyed watching. Thanks for posting!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts