SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To quote paraphrase mangomadness, this is a 'noooooo' thread.

I need to remove an illegal head on my boat. Direct discharge. Yes, I know some of you read the thread and debated it's legality. The gist of it is that IT IS ILLEGAL, I researched it and it's true.

I plan on fixing the head without taking the boat out of the water.
The outlet valve is a gate valve that closes fine.
The inlet valve is another gate valve that will not close. It has a length of garden hose attaching it to the head that is pretty long. I am going to dive under the boat in the slip, plug the inlet thru hull with a cedar plug, remove the upper hose clamp on the inlet hose, and drain the water. At this point, I am going to verify that the plug does not leak. So far this procedure is risk free as the hose end will be above the waterline.

Then I am going to remove the old gate valve, and put a cap over the thru hull.

I will have a few contingency plans:
Something to plug the hose with.
Underwater epoxy.
Plenty of different plugs.
Extra caps.

If it works out well, I am going to do it with the outlet thru hull. :eek:

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
It would be interesting to take your heart rate before the procedure and around the time your remove the old gate valve. I used to get my heart rate up each time I pulled the paddle wheel sensor thru hull to clean it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There is a pretty good chance that valve is Not gonna come off in a friendly kind of way and you will be pretty screwed

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'm gonna second what Tommays said...what is your plan if, when you try to remove the gatevalve, the through-hull comes loose with it??? Don't be stupid about this... this type of work really requires you haul the boat. If the through-hull isn't attached to a flanged adapter, the chances of breaking it loose are pretty high.

·
19,488 Posts
Assuming things go as planned, until the next haul out rather than remove the valve and cap the thruhull, just put a plug into the valve outlet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorta like this one? I will try to find one available in nylon or marine bronze.

I discovered through further research that the gate valves, are not marine grade, and are npt threaded, not flanged...

nightmare.

So I am going to go ahead and do the NPT plug for now, and just cap the thing later on.

Yikes.

·
19,488 Posts
Sorta like this one?
Like that one.... but when you do this, you'll be needing to remove the hose barb or nipple from the valve first... Be sure to support the valve with a pipe wrench to prevent it(and/or the thruhull) from turning while doing so. And the same while installing the plug.

You should also be aware that, since the valve is in all likelihood an NPT (ie tapered) thread and the thruhull is not, the valve is probably only hanging on to the thruhull by at most 2 or three threads - avoid torquing that assembly or you may get a bit of a surprise.

Mainesail had an excellent post on just this issue last year.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/39811-installing-seacocks-follow-up-info.html

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, thanks for all the help. I am currently planning on buying 2 pipe-wrenches, a 1 1/2" npt plug, and a 3/4" npt plug.

I will make some cedar plugs to go in the thru hulls from outside, and definitely have underwater epoxy putty on hand. As well as some underwater sealant, plenty of hose clamps, an electric bilge pump, and some free time.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Plan B or C might be: how far are you from a Travel lift or crane capable of plucking your boat out of the water?

·
19,488 Posts
No worries...

Most thru-hulls have a couple of small lugs inside the hole to allow a special tool to lock into them to prevent them turning during installation... so a perfectly round plug will have to be quite soft to properly seal.. maybe take a look at one on the shelf to see what I mean.
btw I edited the above post with link in case you missed it the first time.

Plan B or C might be: how far are you from a Travel lift or crane capable of plucking your boat out of the water?
Indeed!....

·
Registered
558 Posts
I agree it sees you could wait until your next haul-out to remove the valve. However I don't think removing the valve is as difficult as it may seem. Is there reason to believe the valve will be difficult to unscrew from the thru-hull fitting? I've replaced valves 8 - 10 times and never had a problem. I don't bother the plug the fitting from the outside either. I spill maybe a cup of water during the process which can easily be soaked up with an old towel. If the valve doesn't unscrew with moderate force, then yes, wait until hauling the boat before proceeding. I just have the new valve (or cap) ready with thread sealer on the threads unscrew the old valve, cover the hole with a hand for a moment, and then install the new valve. I do keep my cell phone handy in case the thru-hull fitting fails. In that case I would keep my hand over the hole until the boat can be moved to the travel lift.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
According to your profile, your boat is 22' long. Chances are that if it's in the water, you could take it over to a dock at high tide and tie it up so that at low tide, your questionable fittings would be out of the water and you could resolve your illegalities without worrying about sinking too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The boat is a 24'. Sorry for the confusion. It is 5000 lbs. So I am not going to try and destroy anyones dock just yet.

I think I am going to go ahead and do the plug from the outside as a precaution, if anything, it will slow down the forces of nature. I am planning on careening my boat soon, though, but I want my boat to be legal NOW. So I can USE it.

I will definitely have both: a 3/4 NPS cap, and a 3/4 NPT plug. That way the valve will either stay or go, whichever proves easiest.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm. Upon further inspection, I can't find NPS caps, only NPT... Steve in MD: did you use NPT caps on your thru hulls?

I know it would work, but it is not the correct way to do it, so let me know.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I read of somebody sticking a plunger to the outside of a thru hull, Have no expertise in this.. or any other subject for that matter :D but good luck!
That was Giu. In some of the photos where he's heeled over real far you can still see the plunger. I bet it shaves a knot or two of speed off - but he seems really attached to it...and the chicks seem to really dig it.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Had a leaking valve, years ago; we would open it when we got to the boat and close it when we left. One day when I closed it, it broke off right in my hand. We were in the water, haul out was 1/2 a day away, what did I do? I replaced the valve. It can be done on the water, just make sure you have a back up plan to your back up plan. Now that was a long time ago, would I do it again. Yes, with proper planning.

Having said that, Im not sure I understand the urgency in this circumstance. Ours was different as it was our raw water intake for the cooling system.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May as well!

There is not really urgency, just the fact that I am about to go on a spring-break cruise, and I want a legal boat. Here is the plan of attack:

1. Install bilge pump in head locker.
2. Place plunger over through hull, with line attached to handle led up to the deck, for dive-less removal.
3. Remove hose, drain. ( Hose could be plugged at this stage.)
4. Remove NPT nipple. (Could plug nipple with NPT cap)
5. Remove Gate valve. (Could plug gate valved with NPT plug)
6. Install NPT cap over NPS threads of through hull.
(It's a no-no, but I can't find NPS caps, so I am just going to do it.)
7. Pull string to remove plunger
8. Sponge out head compartment, and start on the nasty job of the outlet hose!

·
Registered
89 Posts
why worry
worst thing that can happen is the boat to sink. :laugher

as long as you or someone else do not get hurt in the process it is OK to take risk and try it out

Petar

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post my heart rate tomorrow afternoon. Especially after diving in filthy freezing lake union!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The plunger isn't going to do you much good with an 1 1/2" hole in the surface you are sticking it to.

Did you consider pulling the other end of the hose, putting a barb and cap in that end and being done with it? Then you can take your spring cruise with a much reduced chance of creating a leak.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts