SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet. I'd recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. I'm sure Eryka and the rest of the ladies of sailnet will be along to help you in a bit. :)

If you're going to be out on the water a lot... I'd recommend getting some of the new UPF rated clothing, like that made by Columbia. This clothing is rated for how much ultraviolet light it blocks, and is probably a far better bet than using sunscreen alone, since the clothing doesn't need to be re-applied and doesn't wash or wear off like sunscreen lotions do. Wide-brimmed hats, like the Tilley Hat, are also a good thing to wear.

Don't forget good sunglasses, as the UV coming off the water can do a number on your eyes, even if your under a bimini or dodger. Don't skimp on sunglasses-get a decent brand.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Just be aware that the mens shirts provide almost NO UV protection, especially when wet.
I've gone to an outlet mall and purchased several mens long sleeve, white, button front shirts. They dry fast and are fairly cool. You can tie them in front with a tank top under them and wear with shorts, pants or a skirt. A good wide brim hat WITH an under the chin tie is a must. If you look at your drugstore they have several products that are no rinse soaps. I discovered this when taking care of a bed ridden relative. But found it helpful on some offshore trips where it was too rough for a proper shower!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.