SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help getting my recently purchased Albin Vega 27 from Seattle to Portland. I'm a USCG licensed merchant mariner(3rd Mate AGT) but have very little experience under sail. Rather than have it transported by land I think it would be beneficial for myself to crew under an experienced captain. Or just someone who half way knows what they are doing and is crazy enough to come... Pay is negotiable.
 

·
islander bahama 24
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
I am homeported out of bremerton when would you want to do this move and where is the vessel located. Rob
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
19,488 Posts
.. interesting time of year for that trip!...
 
  • Like
Reactions: jrd22

·
islander bahama 24
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
.. interesting time of year for that trip!...
Yep it would be. That's the reason I was asking what his timeframe was so it could be planned for a decient weather window right now isn't the best unless the boat is in top shape I would recommend waiting at least a month and a half.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in no major hurry, I'm mostly just weighing options and seeking advice. It's not tip top, the engine is temperamental and the last time I tried I wasn't able to get it going(although it was also below freezing). Temped to just put an outboard on it... It's currently at the Shishole bay guest moorage. I would like to at least get it out of there as I'm paying $25/day.

A few options I have considered:
A)Ship it to Portland from its current location.
B)Sail it down to Olympia and then ship it to Portland.
C)Sail it down the coast weather permitting.

Option A is certainly the easy way out but I would much rather get some experience. Option B and C would require getting the engine serviced and or putting an outboard on it
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
19,488 Posts
I'd find cheaper moorage and wait a few months at least if plan C comes to being... (assuming the vessel is made fit for that passage in the meantime - and that probably means more than just being able to start the engine)

It's roughly 350nm rhumbline, the last 90 upriver to Portland so obviously the engine is going to be critical. Juan de Fuca can be tricky, and an outboard won't do much good in a big westerly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob, if you are ever in the neighborhood maybe you would be interested in stopping by and determining for yourself if the boat is fit for the voyage? I can't PM since I'm new to sailnet.
 

·
islander bahama 24
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
Rob, if you are ever in the neighborhood maybe you would be interested in stopping by and determining for yourself if the boat is fit for the voyage? I can't PM since I'm new to sailnet.
That wouldn't be a big issue for me however I would like to point you to the bremerton marina as a close location to move I lay about two hundred a month here and they have many slips available while we get you and your vessel ready for the trip down the coast I take it you live in Portland or at least that area. Shoot me an email at [email protected] hotmail and welcome to sailnet keep posting you will get there. Faster than you think :cool:
 

·
no longer reading SailNet
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Personally I'd just move it by truck. That is a challenging trip on which to learn your yacht.

You should be able to get a month to month spot in Shilshole. At this time of year they almost always have 30' slips available. It isn't as cheap as Bremerton (or Oak Harbor or Everett), but would be easy to move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,105 Posts
Cheaper moorage near by while you prep the boat and wait for weather seems like the best option to me also. Since the engine appears inoperable some sort of "tow" might even be prudent.
I would not advocate sailing an unfamiliar boat that may have issues down the Oregon coast in winter.
Actually, not a good idea any time of year.
 

·
islander bahama 24
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
Cheaper moorage near by while you prep the boat and wait for weather seems like the best option to me also. Since the engine appears inoperable some sort of "tow" might even be prudent.
I would not advocate sailing an unfamiliar boat that may have issues down the Oregon coast in winter.
Actually, not a good idea any time of year.
That's the main reason I'm recommending getting it up to snuff and waiting for a couple months while he learns his vessel. The columbia bar can be a monster this time of year its likely a minor issue with the Volvo that is in his boat that's not allowing it to start easily. They are usually quite reliable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Congratulations on your new boat. I bought mine in Portland about this time last year. And brought it up to Point Roberts in June. May or June you are more likely to have fair winds.
Like said it’s a bit early though the past couple of weeks weather would have been ideal. You certainly cant bet on it at this time of year.
As an experienced 3rd officer in the merchant marine you have the required knowledge to get your boat safely to Portland by sea.
You just lack a bit of knowledge on sailing and the boat.
I would suggest your first step is to find a berth for your boat in Puget sound on a monthly basis. Daily rate is far to expensive.
Mooring is almost twice the price in the PNW as it is on the Columbia River. I was paying about 220 a month in Portland and about 400 in Point Roberts for a forty foot dock. A 30 ft dock about 300

Once you have a monthly dock.
Take the boat out a few times to get the feel of it. Also it will give you an opportunity to get a few important jobs done to get the boat ready for the trip.
If you had a survey done prior to purchase. It should give you a good idea what is needed.
Personally I found this harder than anticipated. Just the sheer time and distance involved in getting to the boat.
A sailing course is well worth the time and expense. You will learn interesting nautical terms like bow.
More importantly you will get the low down on what those funny white rags are for and how they work.

Having done so you will be ready to take her down as skipper your self.

You will enjoy the trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input guys, this site is a treasure trove!

I decided to have it moved by truck. Simply can't deal with the 3 hour(or 5 in traffic) drive to work on the boat anymore! Sailing it this time of year sounds like a suicide mission.

I've actually sailed from Seattle and down the coast several times on a container ship. I'm familiar with the much of the area but from a completely different perspective.

I Took ASA 101 and found it useful for things like learning the points of sail. I'm familiar with interesting nautical terms like bow and stern. I was planning on taking 103/104 but I'm not sure I would benefit from much of the curriculum. It will be different on a 27' sailboat but Navigation, weather, rules of the road, radio ops... these are all things I do for a living and I have spent years studying them.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
19,488 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, this site is a treasure trove!

I decided to have it moved by truck. .........
I think that's a good decision, to maximize your time available to work on and enjoy the boat before summer. Could easily prove to be the 'easiest' on the boat, crew, and equipment too, while absolutely avoiding any risk of calamity along the way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bradhamlet
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top