SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I live in HI and planning to buy a boat in CA in June.
Only issue, I don think I can't get the boat ready to leave right away.
in HI, there is no sale taxes on used boat. In CA, it is certainly close to 10%.
Anyway I can register my boat in HI, keep the boat until next Summer (full year) in CA and sail it - when ready - at that point ?

Is it really illegal ?

Thanks,
Olivier

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the easiest would be to buy the boat officially in HI.
I just need to find a way to cover 2 months of preparation in CA.
I work mostly remote from HI for a company in LA. The only practical way for me to prepare the boat and the trip is to berth in Marina Del Rey.
Maybe if I offer to the owner a security equivalent to the value of the boat ?
Any other ideas ?

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Catching up.

First, not a full year, I was stating next summer, I meant THIS summer, I.e. 3-4 months.
My bad.
As out off state resident, it is legal to do an offshore delivery, keep the boat less than 6 months in CA and move it out of the state. I won't discuss if this is fair or not for Californian tax payers, but it is legal.
CA brokers seem to be used to offshore deliveries, it looks like common practices.

Sidetrack: you can moore your boat on the west side, in Lahaina. It can be tricky as any mooring, but if you pay attention, it is safe and feasible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.