SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
You not only need to be concerned about sales tax, but CA also has a Use tax. If keeping your boat in CA after the sale, you may be subject to both.
Use tax IS sales tax. You don't pay both. It's called sales tax on some items, like TVs, and use tax on items like boats. It's a matter of nomenclature, that's all.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
in California you can either register with the DVM or document the boat. If you register it then the DMV will collect the use tax at that time. If documented then the state sends you a bill for the use tax about 6 months after the sale for any boat documented with a California address
Or in my case, you pay the use tax to the DMV, then 6 months later the state demands it again!

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Hey,
I live in HI and planning to buy a boat in CA in June.
Only issue, I don think I can't get the boat ready to leave right away.
in HI, there is no sale taxes on used boat. In CA, it is certainly close to 10%.
Anyway I can register my boat in HI, keep the boat until next Summer (full year) in CA and sail it - when ready - at that point ?

Is it really illegal ?

Thanks,
Olivier
Your best option might be to ship it.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Property tax is due yearly and is about 1%. Sales / use tax is a one off tax due on purchases, and is about 9%, regardless of whether the item is purchased out of state, or in CA.

Why not do some research on the CA tax websites where you might get some ACCURATE info?

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
I would most definitely not suggest evading a tax that is due. However, I believe the original poster's question was about buying a boat in CA, as a resident of HI, and not having CA sales/use tax become due. There may be some circumstances in which this is the case, but I'd strongly suggest getting the info from the horses's mouth so to speak, ie the tax franchises of HI and CA.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
This is an interesting paragraph from Minnewaska's link :

"For a purchaser to qualify for the exemption from use tax, title (ownership) and possession of the vehicle or vessel must transfer to the purchaser outside of California. When a purchaser exercises control over the vehicle or vessel in California prior to the planned out-of-state delivery, ownership transfers to the purchaser in California. Therefore, if any person other than the seller, or an agent acting on behalf of the seller, delivers the vehicle or vessel from California to the purchaser at an out-of-state location, ownership transfers to the purchaser in California, and California use tax applies. For example, if a purchaser asks a friend or hires a common carrier to deliver the pr operty from California to him or herself at an out-of-state location, use tax applies."

It seems you can't even hire a delivery crew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.