SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
buy the boat, go to dmv....bill of sale for less than its worth and you get your pink slip in the mail...

simple

Reactions: stef9sailnet

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup whatever it is called its around 9 percent paid on the spot at dmv...

really simple like mark says

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I should add that this only works for small $$$ amount boat sales and the like

if your buying a 100k boat and saying its costing only 5k your soon to be in trouble...well sort of jajaja

salvage vessels and abandoned vessels usually dont apply and sold as is, per bill of sale will clear confusion

but I agree dont go boldly lying

in the ops case Im not really understanding the big problem really, its really easy to buy a boat in ca, go to dmv and pay your small fee...pink slip a few weeks later and your good to travel...

if you sail over to hawaii check what hawaii dmv does with out of state boats and what it costs to transfer title over

my 2 cents

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
well I can see where it would be fraud if you as a seller are overstating the price...

guess it works both ways

I guess I was also implying that the dmv doesnt no jack squat when it comes to boat values...

so there is no real way to enforce what the "value" is on sailboats in this case...its really not feasible I think

but 7 boats or so I have had now all in califiornia well except my current one every time I go register it its common knowleadge you undervalue it...

in fact at the dmv they would tell me something along the lines of you dont have to say what it really costs etc...

just sayin

same thing out or "dmv" down here....the tellers are usually put whatever price you want on there and get out of my face! jajaja

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.