SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use one? I had to make about 6 short tacks up a river today and with wheeled steering got tired of dragging my cushion from side to side. Plus I would prefer a seat that had a back on it. I have seen jon boats set up with sliding seats for fishing but wondered if anyone had implemented that kind of thing on a sailboat?

·
19,485 Posts
6 tacks?? in a row?? :eek: ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Is that all? Around here a 4 hour sail can easily involved perhaps a couple of dozen tacks or more. We never have cushions on deck when sailing because they won't stay put well when heeled. I think a sliding seat, while an interesting idea perhaps, would be too restrictive in dictating just where you sit. One of the advantages to wheel steering, IMO, is the fact that you have quite a few more options as to seating position when steering, esp upwind, over a tiller.

Maybe buy some padded pants? ;)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Anyone use one? I had to make about 6 short tacks up a river today and with wheeled steering got tired of dragging my cushion from side to side. Plus I would prefer a seat that had a back on it. I have seen jon boats set up with sliding seats for fishing but wondered if anyone had implemented that kind of thing on a sailboat?

Bolt down some Harken High Beam traveler track athwart ships behind the helm. Purchase a Wise Folding back Seat:

and a Seachoice Seat Swivel:

Purchase a Harken H3167 Traveler Car:

Remove the lugs on the Traveler Car and bolt on the seat swivel. Then bolt the seat swivel to the chair. Then mount same to Travel Track.

When you are ready to tack, raise your leeward foot, slide to leeward, put your windward foot down, spin the wheel to the new tack. Repeat as necessary.

Reactions: trantor12020

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
6 tacks?? in a row?? :eek: ;)

We never have cushions on deck when sailing because they won't stay put well when heeled.
Why not put Lift-Dot type snaps (or similar) on the cushions to keep them in place? Maybe just one in each corner. I'm thinking of doing this, and I'm curious to know if anyone else has.

I'm also thinking of making an extra firm, block-shaped pillow that I can move from port to starboard to sit on the lee side while sailing (just high enough to see over the bow). I sometimes sit on a round fender, but that often does not end well.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts

Bolt down some Harken High Beam traveler track athwart ships behind the helm. Purchase a Wise Folding back Seat:

and a Seachoice Seat Swivel:

Purchase a Harken H3167 Traveler Car:

Remove the lugs on the Traveler Car and bolt on the seat swivel. Then bolt the seat swivel to the chair. Then mount same to Travel Track.

When you are ready to tack, raise your leeward foot, slide to leeward, put your windward foot down, spin the wheel to the new tack. Repeat as necessary.
I love how you think.. Seat on a traveler! Now if you get REAL creative, you can put a curved track in, and slide up onto the rail and forward too!

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is my solution. I made it 20+ years ago, it has worked out great. This is the only picture I could find, not a great pic...

Having some technical difficulties

Lets try this...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts