SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Southern Cross 35
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few cracks along the grain of the teak in the cockpit. I dont beleive that they impact the structure at all (although I suppose that they mght someday)

What would you do?

• fill with wood glue/sawdust mixture?
  • fill with wood putty?
  • fill with thickened epoxy?
  • fill with thickened polyesther resin?
  • fill with something else?
  • dont fill and let it be.

Wood Bumper Plank Table Wood stain

·
Super Moderator
4,448 Posts
The coaming trim shown is probably not structural; it is most likely just screwed onto a fiberglass coaming top, which is the structural part. Filling the cracks with a hard substance will end up causing the cracks to get bigger as the wood, whenever it gets wet, will expand and push against the hard material in the crack. It is almost the same way rocks get split by rainwater freezing. Teak is notoriously difficult to glue because of oils in the wood, and squeezing the board shown to hold the cracks closed in order to glue them shut would likely crush the edges before the cracks tightened up. Leaving them alone is not an overly viable solution because dirt and crud will end up filling the cracks and they will become "hard material in the crack" and cause the cracks to get bigger as the wood pushes against it. A soft filling that will squeeze out (when and if necessary) would therefore be better in this situation, though others may have better ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts