SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I Just got back from doing a “Baycation”... A few days on the Cheasapeake in my Pearson 39, with a well running/ well maintained Westerleak 4-107 and Paragon manual transmission. She ran like a top, as she always does… However every so often this trip she would hiccup and the RPMs would rise about 100 or so, for about 2 to 3 seconds, then go back to its original setting. It freaked me out at first but I can’t seem to find any actual reason for this happening. Water temperature is fine oil pressure is fine Racor primary filter has a vacuum gauge on it, and it’s in the green. no obvious other issue.

My thoughts are:

-cavitation at the propeller … Which I have never experienced before. (Original to boat 2 blade prop)

-maybe the Balmar 100 amp alternator takes a few second break every so often, which would allow the motor to bump up a little.

-somehow this low-tech Paragon transmission is acting up.

I have owned this beauty and have been it’s sole mechanic for 24 now, so I know When things are different than normal.

Please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts on the subject.

Fairwinds,

Steve

·
Emmalina
25 Posts
Eliminate the Balmar by disconnecting ! Put yhe Transmission in Neutral and see if any variation. Most likely the fuel pump or anti-stall device. Is the Westerbeke not a Perkins 4-107

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
I had symptoms like that years back. It turned out to be the transmission slipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts