SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

1st time going out this season and I have very low speed in forward. Reverse is fine. In fact I go faster in reverse than forward. Over the winter, I would run the engine 30 minutes a week. 10 in neutral. 10 in forward. 10 in reverse. A month ago I started noticing I could only get 2200 RPM's in forward but I never go any higher than that but I still thought it strange. Certainly could achieve higher in rev and neutral.

My boat is a Pearson 323 with a rather new universal M-25XPB with 240 hours and the ZF 15 MIV transmission. My bilge is generally clear but today noticed it had a brownish orange discoloration with a slight foam on top. Not much actually more like a slight skim.

Kinda new to this so not real sure where to start. Hoping it's something simple but probably not knowing my luck.

Any suggestions, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Bob

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
can you check the fluid in your transmission? Regular oil in water turns whitish.. but transmission fluid keeps a reddish to pinkish colour like this.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Are you running the engine in your slip or underway? if the former, I would expect lower RPMs. If the latter, what speed are you making in forward? Sounds like there was a recent change. Could just be an issue with the throttle cable.

As to the stuff in you bilge, could be a number of things. Certainly check the oil levels in the engine and transmission.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
It sounds like you've identified the problem, but I'd like to throw out one more thing that completely surprised me. I'd never been able to get full RPM out of my engine since I bought the boat last year. Thought it was an engine issue because the prop is original and the bottom is clean. The throttle cable broke a couple of weeks ago and when hooking it back up to the throttle handle, it had been installed wrong some time before, which meant that the idle position was OK, but it couldn't reach the upper limits. Obviously, a bad PO fix. The engine runs great, hits max RMP, and is burning off some white smoke these days....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts