SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yanmar 2gm20 on my Watkins 29 and I have trouble with the starting mechanism. I am not sure what I causing it.....

The boat starts no problem, it has never failed me. But, when I mash the starting button, it doesn't turn over immediately like it should. Most of the time I have to mash the starter button 3-4 times before the starter even makes a sound. It seems to me like it could a bad connection somewhere because when it does start to turn over it does without much trouble and the engine fires right up. It has been getting progressively worse over the past year.

The batteries are set up on a Pro Plus charging system and always topped off and at the correct voltage according to my voltmeter at the electrical panel.

Not sure what the problem is, a loose connection? starter wearing out? could be something else?

I'm grateful it still starts but I can just imagine there will be a time when it will not turn over.

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
725 Posts
There are problems with the yanmar. The wire from the switch is a little small and with age and corrosion you lose power to the starter solenoid. It has been addressed here several times and some one will provide the info before I can find it. It is a common and easy fix. I will try to find the specifics if it does not get posted.

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She cranks just fine now, no hesitation.

This was the first thing to try in the thread you posted santa and it was the problem:
"Sitting next to the starter are two molded connectors. The larger one has two larger pins in it. Spread the pins back apart. There is a similar connector about a foot off of the panel. Do the same there.
This is a normal problem with the older Yanmar panels and harnesses."

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts