SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Dave6330— please don't hijack someone else's thread...if you've got a un-related question, please start a new thread.

A lot of times you can also get longer slugs, to replace the ones you're currently using. A longer slug or slide is far less likely to twist in the track and get bound up.

McLube Sailkote or Boeshield T9 are both good lubricants for the sail track, as are some of the silicone-based lubricant.

The checking for burrs is a very good idea, as is cleaning and lubing the track.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
dave6330 said:
I appologize - I was bouncing between threads and the question was obviously misplaced. I meant no harm.

V/R
No harm, no foul...just thought I'd mention it.. btw, I generally rig a jib downhaul to run through a few of the hanks, to help it stay a the proper angle to help haul the jib down. Attaching it at just the head board can cause it to pull at the wrong angle, and may cause the jib to jam. The mainsail downhaul doesn't have the same issues, as the mast doesn't really bend the way the headstay does, and the mastbase, where you'd normally put the block for a mainsail downhaul is in line with the mast track for the most part.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
I don't think it is a good idea to clean a mast track with any type of caustic cleaner. Caustic cleaners can attack the anodization on an aluminum mast. They can also cause pitting, which would make any problems you're having worse, rather than better. Keeping the mast track clean and lubricated, although with a dry lubricant, since grease and oil will tend to attract dirt, and may leave nasty looking stains on your sails.

I've used McLube SailKote and Boeshiedl T-9 on different boats, and they seem to work well. Waxing also works fairly well, as does rubbing the track with a bar of soap.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
A similar technique to JR's was used but involved a Scotchbrite sponge instead. The scotchbrite sponge would probably clean a bit better than the cloth.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
I think it is fairly simple to install. Someone at my friend's marina did it a couple of months ago, while I was there helping step their mast. IIRC correctly, it just slides into the existing track... no real complicated installation issues... from what I saw.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Another solution is to get longer slugs. Most tracks can accommodate slightly longer slugs than you may have on your existing sail. The longer slugs tend not to twist as much and don't jam as easily.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Glad to help. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.