SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

That's right, this is the first opportunity for the East Coast to get a chance to have dinner with Mr. BFS himself. Smackdaddy is coming to NY to sample the pleasures of sailing in salty water. He's looking forward to dinner with the local AFOCs.

We need to roll out the red carpet and at least feed him well, before he sets out on the high seas.

Possible Date: June 17, 18 or 19. EDIT: Date is set for June 19th
Possible Location: New York City (17th or 18th) or Long Island (19th) EDIT: Location is Long Island

What dates/places are good for everybody?

Smack - if your itinerary makes for different dates or places, please let me know and I'll edit.

Smack the Daddy -- NY 2009 -- be there!

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
How are you fixed for lead ingots and chain. (g)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To anyone living near here, this is shocking news:

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Are you setting him up for use as a piñata??? :)You did say something about smacking him .... :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
This is going to be freakin' SWEET! Hangin' with the Easties baby! On the itenerary, we're really open. Just let us know and we'll make it work.

Can't wait to meet you knuckleheads.

Bene - what are you charging per plate? Whatever it is I get my 75% right?

PS - Sway, are you coming in too? I'm sure I could make some time to give you some pointers over a nice gefilte fish sandwich in Queens.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Smack the Daddy ???, is that the east coast version of spank the monkey ???

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like we are doing Long Island (Lung Guylan) so MrWuffles can attend, since he missed the Sailnet winter get-together.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
It sounds as though Smacky will miss out on your pilgrimage back to Montauk which is too bad. That might have been a real opportunity to show him the advantages of reefing the sails in a blow and what the LI Sound has to offer.
That said, I am down for the Slap the Tabby - NY 2009 get-together if at all possible. I have access to a number of Sunfish in Hempstead Harbor and would love to teach him how to reef the sail of a Sunfish. We could sail all the way to NY Harbor and back up the East River in a couple of Sunfish if the DHS guys didn't get too PO'd. It would take like 24 hours but it would be learning experience - just kidding.
I am open to giving the Smackster a shot at crewing on my Lightning 19' on the Sound and/or my Tartan 27' which is up the Hudson a bit from NYC. The waters here are a bit different from a lake in that they have some current as well as (sometimes) wind.
Thanks to Brad (Bene505) for arranging this with SmackDaddy.
Smacky, are you coming for real? Iz your better half coming too? or just you and your posse?

There is a saying around here that goes like: "Welcome to New Yawk. Now go home!" Perhaps we can be a bit more welcoming then that.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Smack,
We do the Weds. night beer can racing thing up at Nyack so on the 20th of April we will probably be racing if you are interested. If there is not much wind that day it is probably not worth the trip but if there is we have actually started some races with a reef in the main.
Yes, there is always some beer and a sense of humor involved.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I'm coming up for real, dude. I'm bummed about missing the Montauk haul - but this is the best I could do. It'll be really cool to meet you guys - and to see just how many fine yachts I can puke off of. I'm a lake sailor you know.

I'm definitely wanting to crew for Bubb if I can swing it! As for the "go home" addage - dude, I've been sailing all year long. And you guys still haven't splashed. Cry me a river, baby.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Da river has been flowin' all winter with icebergs and airplanes (the Hudson that is - don't you read the news?). I am just cryin' because we don't splash in until April 19th and I've got all kinds of shyte to do before then.
Sailboats don't mix well with icebergs or airplanes on congested rivers but you would not know much about that.
BTW, we are right across the river from Bubb so if we could sail you over there in time for you to up-chuck on his boat that would be great! Hell, my boat is older so you might as well just do it on mine.
The Hudson ain't the Atlantic BTW. It is more like a good sized lake with a current.
After you have had your fun I am sure that you will finally 'go home' one way or another. Cry me the price of a NYC hotel room and even if you are eating gefilte fish sandwiches (I am a little puzzled by this reference without mentioning Matzoh) somewhere in Queens you will be laying down something approaching a boat buck.
If your accommodations have already been made then welcome to New Yawk but my guess is that you will eventually go 'home'.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I'm off, I hope to attend. I have trailer boats too. Maybe we can make it a sailing event.

If only someone had a sailboat with a big enough bar-b-que!

·
Registered
118 Posts
If only someone had a sailboat with a big enough bar-b-que!
Big enough for what? ROASTING Smackdaddy? I wonder what wine goes best with that????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts