SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our compass is mounted on the mast. I'd like to get power to it to light it at night. Anybody have any suggestions for a small, 2-conductor, weatherproof connector I might mount in the mast, near the compass, to accomplish this? I've done a bit of research, but haven't found anything quite right.

Then I guess I'll need a small, also preferably weather-tight, in-line connector inside the mast, for when the mast is taken down.

Tnx,
Jim

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
MSD 2-Pin Weathertight Connector 8173
<FORM name=orderform onsubmit="javascript: return FormValidation();" action=cart.php?mode=add method=post><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=PImgBox rowSpan=2><TABLE align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>

MSD
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>MSD 8173

Connector; 2-Pin Weathertight;
Weathertight Sealed Connector
MSD Weathertight Connectors seal the elements out and provide trouble-free electrical connection. MSD Weathertight connectors are unaffected by water, chemicals, vibration, temperature, or dirt, and will not come apart accidentally. Special nylon connector housings are the basis for the connectors. These housings withstand extreme temperature from -40° to +257° and are indexed to prevent mismatching.
When connecting together an audible "click" is produced, letting you know that a solid connection has been made. Each terminal of an MSD Weathertight connector is insulated from in its own tower to prevent shorting, and the pins are securely held in place by a hinged back which prevents the pins from backing out accidentally. The Weathertight Connectors use a self-lubricating silicone seal for protection from water, dust, oil and other engine compartment fluids. In addition, each terminal has its own silicone seal crimped to it that prevents contaminants from entering the wire. This combination of special housing, silicone seals, and positive locking connection makes for the best waterproof connection available.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Details</TD></TR><TR><TD class=Line colSpan=2 height=1>
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%">SKU</TD><TD id=product_code noWrap>AUO8173</TD></TR><TR id=product_weight_box><TD width="30%">Weight</TD><TD noWrap>0.10 lbs</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%">VH SKU</TD><TD>AUO8173</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%">Vendor SKU</TD><TD>8173</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%">UPC Code</TD><TD>085132081738</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ProductPriceConverting vAlign=top>Price:</TD><TD vAlign=top>$7.99 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Options </TD></TR><TR><TD class=Line colSpan=2 height=1>
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" height=25>Quantity</TD><TD><SCRIPT language="JavaScript 1.2" type=text/javascript><!--var min_avail = 1;var avail = 13-1;var product_avail = 12;--></SCRIPT><SELECT id=product_avail name=amount> <OPTION value=1 selected>1</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>2</OPTION> <OPTION value=3>3</OPTION> <OPTION value=4>4</OPTION> <OPTION value=5>5</OPTION> <OPTION value=6>6</OPTION> <OPTION value=7>7</OPTION> <OPTION value=8>8</OPTION> <OPTION value=9>9</OPTION> <OPTION value=10>10</OPTION> <OPTION value=11>11</OPTION> <OPTION value=12>12</OPTION></SELECT> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><INPUT type=hidden value=add name=mode>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=ButtonTable onclick="javascript: if(FormValidation()) document.orderform.submit();" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD class=Button>Add to cart</TD><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD> </TD><TD><TABLE class=ButtonTable onclick="javascript: if (FormValidation()) ** document.orderform.mode.value='add2wl'; document.orderform.submit(); }" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD><TD class=Button>Add to wish list</TD><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, bubb2. That looks like it'd work well for inside the mast, but I don't know as it'd work well for the connector through the mast.

Jim

·
San Juan 26
395 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Jim are you speaking of a deck connector?<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=290><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=left width=100> </TD><TD width=184></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Don't do it!!! I have never had luck with those.
What I have used on two boats, and has proven completely waterproof is the Aquasignal model. It is more than two connectors but it might work for what you are looking for. I use mine for a fish finder, but it used to power an autopilot. On my last boat I used it for the mast wiring with 100% success.
Its $40 but this thing really works. No metal to corrode or threads to gum up.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I wouldn't use the WM one either... there are far better made ones.. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
One technique that I have used very successfully is to glass a piece of PVC pipe through the deck. Run the wiring through it and make connections is a weather protected area below deck. Seal the wires in the pipe with a VERY generous amount of silicone sealant.

Remember this is not a frequently disconnected item. For a once a season disconnect, unconnect the wires at the below deck connector block, and simply pull them out the top. Reconnect with more silicone.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
This is a kludge IMHO... and silicone sealant has no place on a boat, other than covering the tips of cotter pins to protect the sails.

One technique that I have used very successfully is to glass a piece of PVC pipe through the deck. Run the wiring through it and make connections is a weather protected area below deck. Seal the wires in the pipe with a VERY generous amount of silicone sealant.

Remember this is not a frequently disconnected item. For a once a season disconnect, unconnect the wires at the below deck connector block, and simply pull them out the top. Reconnect with more silicone.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LiittleMissMagic, Thanks for the lead, but, unfortunately, that site seems all but unusable for me. I guess it doesn't like Firefox or requires Flash or something.

sailboy21, Agreed: Those WM connectors don't look like what I want, anyway. Mast is curvy. Need a connector with a small footprint. Perhaps that Aqua Signal connector you've used will work. How are the pins connected to the wires? How is the connector base secured to its mounting surface? Aqua Signal's site is light on details.

gc1111, Gotta agree with SD on this one: *ick*. Sorry. Besides: We're talking about a really tiny wire, here.

Jim

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
sailboy21, Agreed: Those WM connectors don't look like what I want, anyway. Mast is curvy. Need a connector with a small footprint. Perhaps that Aqua Signal connector you've used will work. How are the pins connected to the wires? How is the connector base secured to its mounting surface? Aqua Signal's site is light on details.
Jim

That particular model uses setscrews. I think power lead wires for the fish finder are 18 gauge, so it can go pretty small. The base part of it screws onto the (flat) mounting surface, but you only need a hole the size of the wires under it. It comes with a foam gasket for the base, and it isn't very big. It would mount on most masts I have seen. Worth a look anyway. Finding the right connector for something on a sailboat is always a royal pita. Also.. very important to consider the material of whatever you use. Absolutely don't use brass or chrome plated anything on a spar.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There's one company that makes such fittings, and I'll see if I can find the website link for them, since they'll send you a sample unit for free... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts