SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Small boat furling system questions. Like Harken 435/436

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnRPollard 
#1 ·
http://shop.torresen.com/utility/includes/content/harken/catalogpages/page_148.pdf

Beginner question about the above product (or similar)

Would I need to get a new jib to work with that or will my old jib with hanks work? From the diagram it looks like my forestay needs to be shortened a bit and attached to the swivel and drum. Yes? I can see it unfurling a hanked sail easily, but getting it to roll back up properly? Any help?

And is it advisable to leave the sail wrapped around the headstay when I disconnect it to drop the mast to trailer home? (I'd either take it off and stow it carefully in the boat or bungee it to the mast every foot or so)

It's a 17' Venture and I singlehand a lot and would rather not go forward of the mast in a busy waterway if I can help it. I'd also like to decrease the time spent rigging in the parking lot.

I don't want to spend more than I paid for the boat to be able to do it. (the Harken 435 setup is about $220) Am I on the right track? Your suggestions/comments/experiences are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Per Harken:

"Small Boat Furling
Harken® Small Boat furling systems allow the dinghy or
trailerable cruising sailor to set and furl the jib from the
cockpit. The drums and halyard swivels of these furling
systems feature multiple stacked races of Delrin® or
Torlon® bearings to ensure smooth rotation under load.
All Small Boat furling systems require a jib with a luff
wire properly seized to the sail
."

Harken: Furling Questions and Answers

#3 ·
Well that answers that. Thank you! I don't think my old jib (I only have one) is worth doing any modifications to. I guess I'll hold off on buying one of these until I buy new sails.

But it would be okay to leave the sail rolled around the headstay and either placed in the cabin or lashed to the mast when trailering? I guess a suncover would add some durability too... Is that an expensive addition? My boat lives indoors unless it's sailing.

Thanks again

#4 ·
Well that answers that. Thank you! I don't think my old jib (I only have one) is worth doing any modifications to. I guess I'll hold off on buying one of these until I buy new sails.

But it would be okay to leave the sail rolled around the headstay and either placed in the cabin or lashed to the mast when trailering? I guess a suncover would add some durability too... Is that an expensive addition? My boat lives indoors unless it's sailing.

Thanks again
I would remove the sail before trailering. It can't be good for the sail to be subjected to 65 + mph winds.

Contact your local sailmaker to get a price for the sacrificial sun cover.

#5 ·
We have the Harken 434 on one of our sailing dinghies. It is a very handy little furling unit. I highly recommend it.

It works best with a sail that has an integral stay or bolt rope sewn into the luff. It is set "on the fly", i.e. the sail is hoisted by the halyard and it effectively becomes the forestay.

We do not have a UV cover on the sail -- like yours it is indoors or covered when not in use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.