SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story somewhat shortened, I was going to add insulation to the ice box on my c&c30, 72 vintage this winter. But I was reading a thread on drop in refrigeration here a day or so ago, and someone was using a stand alone engel fridge and using the icebox for storage. This makes more sense for my usage of our boat( use the ice box for non-perishable goods, and pack a cooler with cold stuff for the weekends ( which is the bulk of the way we are at our boat).
Currently we pack soft cooler bags( soggy and not great at retaining ice, and then placing them in the icebox) . So I'm thinking a smaller cooler , with wheels,
Somewhere in the mid 20 quart capacity, which should serve our needs well space wise, and won't get in the way all that bad in the cabin , and won't be a bear to lift from the dink onto the boat. Anyone have a favorite that's stood the typical abuse and didn't bust the wheels , handles , held ice well?

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The icebox on our boat is reaaaally big! If your not tall your bent over so far to get to the bottom your feet are coming off the ground. And it's not well insulated to boot. My thought is the boat and ice box is at "room temperature ", when we put the ice and contents from the coolers in it on the weekend a lot of the ice melts just bringing the box temp down. I like the idea of the engel, having it chilled before we leave the house would be beneficial, my only negative I can think of is possibly dropping it from the dink to boat or vice versa, a cooler, not as worried about it plopping in the water!

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many great ideas! Never gave much thought to a quality soft side cooler,
Good point on the wheels taking up cooler space, being on a mooring and only using the boat for weekends ( during the short summer season in New England adding the solar and other items to run a reefer unit all week just isn't money well spent IMHO , if this was the boat we would be keeping ....... Then yes , but bringing an engel plug in unit with us,
Might be the ticket as it could transfer to our next boat if needed.... Oh well,
Gonna be a long winter got time to think this one out.( if this is my biggest problem to find a solution for this winter I'll count my blessings...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.